apron

I just finished my coop, and we did the apron. It starts about 12" up inside the walls, 4" under dirt, and 18" out from the whole coop and run. Now I'm laying two rows of patio blocks on top of that.

I just finished my coop, and we did the apron. It starts about 12" up inside the walls, 4" under dirt, and 18" out from the whole coop and run. Now I'm laying two rows of patio blocks on top of that.
Patio blocks on top of apron can defeat the purpose of the apron.
They dig at bottom of wall and hit apron, with blocks they may dig at outer edge of blocks and end up under the apron. Save the blocks for something else.

Here is the apron I have. Also shown is a photo from a trail cam of a raccoon standing on it. He spends all of his time looking in. None have ever dug under or or to my knowledge, have even attempted to do so. If they did, they went nowhere fast, which may be why they keep standing there looking in?

The construction photos were taken a few months back when I installed it. It is held down by 99 cent tent stakes from Walmart. The type that looks like a long nail or spike, with an orange head on it. The apron wire itself is 1" x 2" - 14 gauge welded wire.

Today the grass has grown up through it and the only place you can even tell its there is where the raccoon is standing. That was a patch of bare dirt where my compost bin used to stand. Even that has mostly grown up with grass today.

House itself is portable.....or more like moveable, so the wire aprons will fold up. Process is to work them up through the grass, fold them up, hook a light log chain up to wires on the ends of the skids and off we go to a new location.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom