Aquariums and fish keeping

I don't have a huge aquarium (yet) but I do have some fishies. Had one nice sweet Betta, Neptune, but he died
sad.png

So naturally I went out and got another one! Named him Nep2ne. He's definitely not as nice lol. I never had a betta flare up before, but he does.
And then I got a nice Crown Tail Betta, Poseidon. He flares up a lot at Ron Snailson.
The #1 thing people get wrong about keeping bettas is not realizing how warm they need to be. Put his tank in the warmest spot you can, or even better, get a small heater and keep the water about 80 degrees. That temp in a small tank would be death to most fish, but anabantoids like bettas thrive in it, they can live in water that is nearly devoid of oxygen. Bettas do great outdoors in the summer, just use a thermometer to make sure the water temp is close to 80 before putting him out.
One summer I bred Betta imbellis, a (mostly) non-fighting species, by putting the pair in a 40 gallon stock tank on my deck. They required no feeding and the male was constantly building bubble nests. One day I saw some fry darting around the surface, so I removed the parents and let them grow up there.

I'll have to post pics of my set up. I am so proud of it!! I don't have corals and it is pretty empty looking with just Elmo and Maxine in it. I can't keep corals in it. I have to climb a ladder just to feed them. I recently bought a 40g breeder and 30 g dump to move them to and have corals. My tank is only 150g but with the stand and canopy it is 7 and 1/2 feet tall, with a 40 or 60g tall dump. I forgot. It has a 20 gallon refugium with macro algae too. I can't wait to get Elmo and Maxine moved! I want a puffer so bad!
I loved the pond somebody posted! It would be so nice to have outdoor fin friends!!
To the person with the busted bottom glass. I would chunk it. Water is heavy and all of that weight is on your base. You can find cheap used tanks at small fish stores, not big box. Although sometimes Petsmart has a sale on tanks for a dollar a gallon. You can find some great deals at fish stores though! I got mine for $1200 and it was originally several thousand. I picked up the used 40g with sump and a homemade base for 50. I have another one too but i need to set it up as a quarantine when I start getting new fish again.
I guess you can tell, I love my fish! They are truly more than just fish to me. They are part of the family because I have had them so long.
Just keep swimming :)

Just got my aquarium set up. Plan on doing guppys which are my favorites. Its a bigger tank than it looks. Believe its a thirty gallon. Can't wait to get them started.

Just got my aquarium set up. Plan on doing guppys which are my favorites. Its a bigger tank than it looks. Believe its a thirty gallon. Can't wait to get them started.
It's looking great! We tried to have a planted tank and it looked really nice, but Oscar decided he didn't like the plants where we put them and the pleco decided to eat them lol

That looks awesome!! I think guppies are so pretty with their colorful tails! Oh I better not get the bug for a fresh tank. My hubs might divorce me!!

My first salt tank was a 75 g with 40 g sump. My star outgrew it so hubs finally agreed to the 150. I'm disabled and never leave my house alone, so he lets me splurge on my hobbies. I have only left the house 1-2 times a month for years and only with him. But I think I'm ready to go outside some alone so going to get chickens :) wish me luck!!

Back
Top Bottom