Aracauna VS Americauna?

heatherspangler

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 5, 2008
NW Ohio
I know there's a difference but what are all the differences? WE have about 20 chickens we just call mutts but i believe they are mostly americaunas. I will get some pictures of them to help but they are taller lean birds with tails and some feathers on their faces, not big frilly feathers but little ones.

From what I understand....and I am a newbie so someone else please elaborate if I am missing something....Ameracaunas have certain colors and if they are not those colors they are termed EE.... AND chickens that do NOT fall into the rumpless Araucana category and are NOT the specific colors required to be Ameracanas AND they lay the colored egg and they have greenish legs etc...are simply labeled EE.

Last edited:
There are no 'Americaunas'. Hatchery's are selling regular Easter Egger chickens as mislabeled birds.

Araucanas are rumpless birds. Ameracaunas have breed standards, such as color and tufts. Birds which fall outside of this are called Easter Eggers.

Ok that helps. I'm going to assume that ours are mostly just EEs. They all came from greenish/bluish eggs if i remember right. I got the eggs from someone else. Most of them has greenish legs but some have very dark almost black legs. I'll get some pictures tomorrow.

Quote:
You are almost correct. Araucanas have tufts, Ameraucanas have muffs/beards
smile.png

Quote:
You are almost correct. Araucanas have tufts, Ameraucanas have muffs/beards
smile.png

Well, this helps me out. I kept calling mine Ameracaunas, but both my hens have the ear tufts, and that's it. So I guess that would make them Araucanas?

Back
Top Bottom