Aracauna VS Americauna?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by heatherspangler, Sep 15, 2008.

1. heatherspangler

heatherspangler Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I know there's a difference but what are all the differences? WE have about 20 chickens we just call mutts but i believe they are mostly americaunas. I will get some pictures of them to help but they are taller lean birds with tails and some feathers on their faces, not big frilly feathers but little ones.

2. ILoveJoe

ILoveJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    From what I understand....and I am a newbie so someone else please elaborate if I am missing something....Ameracaunas have certain colors and if they are not those colors they are termed EE.... AND chickens that do NOT fall into the rumpless Araucana category and are NOT the specific colors required to be Ameracanas AND they lay the colored egg and they have greenish legs etc...are simply labeled EE.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    There are no 'Americaunas'. Hatchery's are selling regular Easter Egger chickens as mislabeled birds.

Araucanas are rumpless birds. Ameracaunas have breed standards, such as color and tufts. Birds which fall outside of this are called Easter Eggers.

4. heatherspangler

heatherspangler Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    NW Ohio
    Ok that helps. I'm going to assume that ours are mostly just EEs. They all came from greenish/bluish eggs if i remember right. I got the eggs from someone else. Most of them has greenish legs but some have very dark almost black legs. I'll get some pictures tomorrow.

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:You are almost correct. Araucanas have tufts, Ameraucanas have muffs/beards [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:You are almost correct. Araucanas have tufts, Ameraucanas have muffs/beards [​IMG]

Well, this helps me out. I kept calling mine Ameracaunas, but both my hens have the ear tufts, and that's it. So I guess that would make them Araucanas?

7. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Have you tried searching the Archives? This has been discussed at length many times before.

8. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
  9. justinszoo

justinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    NW Ohio
    SpeckledHills,
    You beat me to it. I was gonna post the same link.

10. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Hi Heather,

Please do post pics! That way someone can give you a positive ID on them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by