Aracaunas, Ameracaunas & Easter Eggers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Dirty Dozen, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Dirty Dozen

Dirty Dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Long Island, New York
    I know what a true Araucana is. But what is the difference between Amercaunas & Easter Eggers? Thanx!

2. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Easter Eggers are mutts that were bred for colored eggs.

3. Dirty Dozen

May 30, 2009
    Long Island, New York
    But aren't Ameracaunas mutts to get colored eggs?

4. bnjrob

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    From what I've read about them, Ameracaunas are technically mutts bred from Aracaunas - back in the '70s I think - but the Easter Eggers are a lot "muttier" and farther removed from Aracaunas.

5. Dirty Dozen

May 30, 2009
    Long Island, New York
    "Muttier". o.k. I think that's probably what I have. I have some friends like that too. Thanx!

6. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Actually all Araucana, Ameraucana and the Easter Egger were all bred from "mutt" chickens brought in from South America. Just for the record.

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Ameraucana: bred from South American birds carrying the blue egg gene, mostly purified out of Easter Egger stock (which is why hatcheries try to say their EEs are Ameraucans, they somewhat resemble each other). Features include: Slate colored legs, pea comb, lays blue or green eggs, has a muff and beard, comes in the following colors: Blue, Blue Wheaten, Black, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten, and White. CANNOT come in any other colors.

Araucana: Developed in Chile and refined in the US; not bred from EE stock. Features include: Lack of tail (rumpless, although tailed birds may be used in breeding programs, just not shown), pea comb, tufts of feathers protruding from cheeks and sweeping back (no muff or beard), variable leg color, standard size comes in black, white, black breasted red, silver duckwing, and gold duckwing.

Easter Egger: Not a true breed, and thus type is not regulated and can vary wildly. Bred by US hatcheries in an effort to sell colored eggs at higher markup, most likely bred from South American birds. Ideal EE traits: Muff and beard, pea comb, willow colored legs, blue to green eggs. Can come in any coloration. Can have only one or two of the above listed features, and still be called an EE (yes this means they could lay you a brown egg).

1 person likes this.
  8. bnjrob

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    Some of the stuff I've read said that the Ameracauanas and the EEs were bred off of the Aracaunas - which were bred from numerous other chickens to get the colored eggs. Probably not absolute answer since there are also differing opinions on whether Javas really came from Java and just refined here or if they were bred from other Asian chickens and weren't an actual true breed for a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by