Aracuna sexing... help!

MummaHen94

In the Brooder
Jan 15, 2017
Queensland, Australia
Hello everyone! I was wondering if I could get some help sexing my Aracuna chicks? They are around 12 weeks old. Aby help would be much appreciated! I can get body shots if they are required. Thanks again.

:welcome!

Full body profile shots would be helpful if you can provide them. Going solely by comb color and development the first and second pictures could be cockerels.

These guys are Australian Araucanas, judging by the box in the background, before anyone jumps to telling OP these aren't araucanas. They have different features than those here in the US.

Last edited:
:welcome!

Full body profile shots would be helpful if you can provide them. Going solely by comb color and development the first and second pictures could be cockerels.

These guys are Australian Araucanas, judging by the box in the background, before anyone jumps to telling OP these aren't araucanas. They have different features than those here in the US.
Agree

Ok, just got some side on body shots for you all! Yes, I am in Australia. I didn't know there were variations of this breed, I've learned something new! I'm still very new to this breed.

Welcome to BYC!

This is a hard one....i find these breeds hard to sex, but maybe thats just me...

They all seem to have red combs..apart from 1 and 4 (Body pics) But then on 4 i see shiny tail feathers, and some pointy feathers...So im stuck on 4 & 5 But i think 1 is a Pullet and 2 and 3 could be both cockerels..i really dont know..sorry. I'll let someone with more experience with this breed pipe in.

Ok, just got some side on body shots for you all! Yes, I am in Australia. I didn't know there were variations of this breed, I've learned something new! I'm still very new to this breed.

#1, the Blue, is a pullet. #2 and #3 are Splash, both are looking like cockerels. #4, the Black, also looks like cockerel at this point. #5 is tricky. Mixed color/variety, so the usual 'tells' are less than accurate.
I suspect that you have crossbred birds, considering that some have rose or cushion combs instead of pea combs. Definitely Araucana in them, but not purebred.

Back
Top Bottom