Arapahoe County, Colorado

Do you mind me asking what you placed in your email to your district councilman? Im looking to send one to mine as well and wanted an example of what others have used =)
Thanks for any help in advance,
V

I just asked him for guidance in how to move forward with a request to increase Littleton's hen limit to 8. He responded very quickly and invited me to meet him in person in a few weeks. I plan to get all of my information together and present it then. Fingers crossed!

In case you all aren't aware or following Facebook page for Arap Cnty please go to the page and check it out were moving in the right direction!!
wee.gif

GREAT NEWS!! One of our fellow Arapahoe Chicken lovers got word from the zoning admin that the commissioners are contemplating putting Urban Chickens on this November's ballot!! Lets keep the momentum going, take a moment and email the commissioners that you support this. Thanks!

Here is the link....i hope i did it right CALL THE COUNTY NOW =)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/532505_185572371602379_272502773_n.jpg

I recently purchased 4 chickens and built a really nice coop for them, but haven't yet had the pleasure of fresh eggs. They are slightly over 5 months old so egg production should begin any day now. I have a beautiful backyard and garden and and keep my property nicer looking than 99% of my neighbors do... I even get regular letters from my HOA complementing me on how nicely I keep my property.

My chickens are very quite, we change their bedding 2x per week so there is no smell and you would never know they were in my backyard unless you looked in my yard. I have 5 neighbors that surround me, some of whom own dogs that can be pretty annoying when left outside to bark incessantly. Some of them have more dogs than is legally allowed. And the squirrels and the wild birds that visit my bird feeder make way more noise than my chickens do. However, apparently one of my neighbors complained to Arapaho County about my chickens and today I received a letter in my mail box telling me I have 7 days to get rid of them (or be fined) as they are not considered "pets".

The following cities that surround Unincorporated Arapaho County all allow chickens - Centennial (allows up to 3), Denver (has no limit), Englewood (has no limit), Greenwood Village (which I am two blocks away from and has no limit), Highlands Ranch (allows up to 4 and encourages it) and Littleton (allows up to 3). So why not us???

As a result of this letter, I will be calling "Mary Zaitz, Community Compliance Officer" who is in Zoning at Arapaho County to have a chat with her. But suspect I won't get to far, as others before me have tried to reason with the county as well on this topic. I will be giving up my chickens to my son who lives in Fort Collins (where they are allowed) to keep for me for a while, I try to fight this battle.

I want to start a petition to get the ordinance changed. Please let me know if you would be willing to sign a petition to help get this ordinance changed.

Thanks for your support!

Signed,

Renee in Unincorporated Arapaho County (Officially in Englewood)

Hey all I recently had to rehome all of my animals ducks,chickens and sheep due to my neighbors when they moved in it was fine then I made them mad so they called zoning on me. I have a petition on change.org to try changing the zoning I emailed Tammy king and basically she is refusing to change this I also emailed the commissioner and he said he would give the information to Tammy ya I'm not having any luck with her. I think we should be allowed to have them its not like they are out running the streets attacking people or hurting anyone... My children and I have heavy hearts I say we all stand up and make a change.

Back
Top Bottom