araucana, ameraucana, or easter egger?

They are Easter Eggers with classic EE coloring. There are only a few colors of Ameraucana and most are solid colors other than the Silver. Blue Wheaten and the Brown-Red. Though a couple of hatcheries are now selling what appear to be actual Ameraucanas, almost every hatchery "Ameraucana/Americana" is an Easter Egger, though some sell both EE and Ameraucanas and will tell you the difference like My Pet Chicken, who really is a drop shipper, and I think Meyer Hatchery.

If you go here, there are photos of all the accepted colors of the true Ameraucana in male, female and chick:
http://ameraucanaalliance.org/photos.html

I have one 9 yr old EE who is almost identical to one of yours. Her beard was dark like that when she was very young, too. Here is June:

This one is 1/2 Blue Wheaten Ameraucana and 1/2 EE

But I also have true Ameraucanas, black and splash, also 9 yrs old. Had two blue hens, passed on now.

Last edited:
IMG_5521.JPG

Can you tell what my Rosa Is?

I agree with Hdowden. They are beautiful EE hens (except for Buck). Believe me, if you had Ameraucana or Araucana birds, you'd know it because you would have spent a lot of time hunting down a breeder. Hatcheries find it much more profitable to mislable mixed breed chickens than to pay to obtain real stock in those two breeds.

There's nothing wrong with EEs (I find them delightful) but it irks me how many first-time owners are lied to by hatcheries.

Back
Top Bottom