Araucana, Ameraucana, or EE??? How can I Tell

Nuggetsowner:)

Songster
12 Years
Aug 2, 2007
Minnesota
I purchased 5 beautiful "Araucana" chicks at the local farm store. The sign on the Container when I bought them said Araucana. I know they came from Hoover Hatchery out of Iowa. How can I tell if they really are Araucana?? I asked the clerk at the store who is always very helpful and to my surprise is very knowledgable (sp) about chickens. She said that they purchased them as Araucana. Are there telltale signs that will tell me what I really have? The girls are now about 4 weeks and starting to feather out nicely. I will try to post pics a little later. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Well do you know that they are rumpless if they are actually Araucanas. If you know that (which I think you do), then I can't help you. But I told you just in case.

Haha, you know you're supposed to be posting pictures when you ask questions like this...
wink.png

I will try to get current pics ASAP but my husband has the camera in his truck! He had to take pics of his new skidloader for insurance purposes!?! :mad:

Nuggetsowner,
You really need to go to the following sites:
Araucana.net, and Ameraucana Club and research to see what you really got. They have pictures of the real thing. 9 chances out of 10 you got EE's if they came from a hatchery. You will still enjoy the colored eggs unless they all lay an off brown color depending on what the hatchery thru in the breeding pen just to get chicks to have for resale. HarryS

Darn that DH!

The main difference between a Araucana and an Ameraucana is that the araucana will be rumpless and have ear tufts. Ameraucanas will have cute poufy cheeks!

Easter Eggers are birds of either breed that do not meet the accepted standards of the breed, i.e. off colored legs, wrong feather coloring, etc... Easter Eggers can also be a mixed bird that happens to lay a blue or green egg.

OK Finally, Here are some pics of the girls. They all have grey/green legs and most have little puffy things on thier cheeks although you can't really see them very well in the pics. I believe now that they are EE. I guess I am not too disappointed because they all really do have great personalities!

This is my oldest son Zach's girl...Her name is Bree
ChickensandSkidloader050.jpg

Next is my youngest son Ben's her name is Snowflake.
ChickensandSkidloader051.jpg

Now we have Garrett's babies... The first one is called Autumn....
ChickensandSkidloader049.jpg

And the second one is still no name
ChickensandSkidloader052.jpg

And last but not least here is my Stormy...
ChickensandSkidloader048.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom