Araucana chick with no beard?

Hal9000

In the Brooder
Jan 27, 2015
We purchased chicks from our local farmers co-op and two of the three Araucana have the signature beard. However, one of them is lacking the beard and it makes me wonder if we have another breed. This is the first time we have had Araucana and I wasn't sure if the lack of beard was common. They are a little over a week old.

Your little chicks may have been advertised as Aracauna, but they're in fact Easter eggers. There has been an increase in the number of "clean faced", meaning non-bearded, birds from the hatcheries over the last few years. They still lay the colored eggs, there's no genetic link there, but the classic puffy cheeks aren't present.

Feed stores are also notorious for mixing up bins and it is fully possible you've gotten another breed.

BTW, where are you located? In the US?

If so, Araucanas do not have beards/muff, nor tails, in the US, however, they do in Europe/Australia (as well as crests).

Typically the EE's you get in the US are from Ameraucana stock (beard/muff, tailed, pea comb) mixed with whatever else the hatchery has on hand to create Easter Eggers which they erroneously sell as Americanas or even Araucanas.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html

LofMc

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am located in the US. While I did purchase the chicks from the co-op they came from Privett Hatchery. I think you all are correct. She is probably a EE. As long as she doesn't cause problems with the other chickens, I am fine with how she looks. These hens are for egg production/pets only so no breeding. Hopefully she will have some fun colored eggs.

And that's exactly what most folks want from their "Ameriucana" or "Aracauna" or whatever they buy from the feed store. A pretty, friendly bird that lays colored eggs, and Easter eggers fill that role beautifully.

I admit, I love the classic look with the beard and fluffy cheeks, they're just so appealing. But, they don't effect laying or egg color one bit.

Your little chicks may have been advertised as Aracauna, but they're in fact Easter eggers. There has been an increase in the number of "clean faced", meaning non-bearded, birds from the hatcheries over the last few years. They still lay the colored eggs, there's no genetic link there, but the classic puffy cheeks aren't present.
Agreed

And that's exactly what most folks want from their "Ameriucana" or "Aracauna" or whatever they buy from the feed store. A pretty, friendly bird that lays colored eggs, and Easter eggers fill that role beautifully.

I admit, I love the classic look with the beard and fluffy cheeks, they're just so appealing. But, they don't effect laying or egg color one bit.

I like the muffs too. Last year I got two EE chicks from the feedstore (which got them from Murray McMurray). Well, they ended up being clean faced, which was disappointing, and I sold them. I get some new EE chicks from Cackle this week and fingers crossed they will have muffs and beards.

Back
Top Bottom