Araucana pullet behaving unusally

chickencoop5

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 23, 2012
CA
I have an Araucana pullet (approx 25 weeks old) that has been spending more time in the coop lately. Yesterday she laid near the nest box all day and today she hasn't left her roost. This is very unusual behavior. She normally sticks close to the other araucana roo and pullet that we have. Other than being sluggish and having loose stool, I can't see anything wrong with her. Her wattles still seem red in color. Does this sound like she is preparing to start laying or that there is something more serious going on? Any advice on how to help her would be much appreciated!

I have an Araucana pullet (approx 25 weeks old) that has been spending more time in the coop lately. Yesterday she laid near the nest box all day and today she hasn't left her roost. This is very unusual behavior. She normally sticks close to the other araucana roo and pullet that we have. Other than being sluggish and having loose stool, I can't see anything wrong with her. Her wattles still seem red in color. Does this sound like she is preparing to start laying or that there is something more serious going on? Any advice on how to help her would be much appreciated!
Yep, sounds like she might be having a rough time trying to lay her first egg. I recommend soaking her up to her sides in a container of warm water, then gently massage her underside front to rear for about 20 minutes. The warm water will relax and expand her innards, massaging will help move the egg along. Hopefully she'll lay the egg.

Thanks for the advice! I've bathed her and kept her indoors to rest. She didn't eat anything yesterday and seemed to get worse. This morning she was squawking and pacing to get out. She looked better so I let her out. She headed straight for the coop and is laying in the bottom. I can't tell if she's any better or worse or even what's wrong with her. Is deworming a sick chicken a normal next step just in case that's the problem? I've only had chickens for a year and have never dewormed any of them. Is there a certain time of the year to regularly deworm? Or just when you notice a problem? How would I know if I had a problem?

No. Can a chicken be broody before ever laying her first egg? She was out of the coop a little today and got on the roost this evening for bed. It's hard to tell if she's a little better or not. Can chickens have a couple of 'off' days and get better on their own without ever having anything serious?

I've been keeping an eye on her for the last five days. I've been worried sick about her and the rest of the flock wondering what she might have and if she will be okay. She never seemed to get any worse or any better until today. Today she sitting on her very first little blue egg. She laid it away from the nest boxes in the back of the coop. Thanks to those that offered guidance. I really appreciate all the help I can get while I figure out the ins and outs of raising chickens.

Moonshine, my Araucan I've been so worried about, has left her chosen nest area and there are two blue eggs. I do have two Araucana's about the same age and have never gotten a blue egg until today. My other hens all lay brown eggs. So, is it more likely that Moonshine has laid both or that both pullets decided to pick today to each lay their first egg? Either way, I'm thrilled!

Back
Top Bottom