Araucana question

sara

Title Needed Here
12 Years
Jun 25, 2007
at the covered bridge, PA
Well this little chick popped out of one of my araucana eggs, is it any particular color? Double tufted, rumpless...

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1745.jpg

Last edited:
It's LF, sorry I should have put that in. It's the first one this color.
smile.png
I doubt it's female anything, I can't hatch anything but cockerels
lol.png
lol.png
Seriously, I kind of thought it resembled the silver duckwing chick on your page.

Last edited:
We get our chicks at the feed store so they probably aren't true bred but we have had a couple that looked like that when they were little. Their adult coloring was a buff head and upper body with a darker tan/cinnamon lower body. They were very pretty birds.
Unfortunately they were lost to a predator otherwise I could take a picture. We just went digital and I can now post pictures. Yeah!

Well... I could be wrong, that chick color has surprised me before, but for the most part, in my flock, chicks with that down color usually turn out to be SDW-esque pullets. Though I have been surprised before -- a couple times I've had chicks with that color turn out to be AOV cockerels.

By the time he/she is a couple months old, you'll probably know for sure... you'll have to update us, now I'm curious to know if I'm right or wrong!

That looks just like our Mozzarella when she was chick. She is 10 weeks now and we think she might be a bantam. I will add a pic when I get home tonight.

ETA: photos

This is Mozzarella now at 10 weeks.
12849_100_2246.jpg

12849_100_2247.jpg

Last edited:
Sara,
Yes that is one of the wild type colors, bbr, gold or silver duckwing. That chick came from your blue red rooster. It is probably his 99% or !% from the blacks since they never had anything like that in their background. Harry

I don't have him with them anymore, but maybe it was leftover from him. I'll have to set another groups when ever those orp eggs come and see what colors hatch. Most hatch black with brown/red on them.

Sara,
The black with brown/red is possible from the black rooster since he only has one gene for pure black and one for one for the Duckwing color but the hens are or should be pure black. I will PM you when I can drop that Lavender off, if you are able to meet me at the feed mill. HS

Back
Top Bottom