Araucana sick :(

kec5105

Chirping
13 Years
Apr 11, 2011
Mt. Bethel, PA
1) What type of bird , age and weight. - Araucana, 6 months old, small
2) What is the behavior, exactly. - she wont stand, wont walk, is sitting on my lap right now wrapped in a towel which is very unusuall as she is not a lap chicken, she barely opens her eyes, her hackle feathers are standing on end, wont eat or drink, her bum is very dirty but her vent is open and clean, her left eye is blood red, her right eye is normal
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? a few hours
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. - no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. - maybe heat? but its only 75* and they have plenty of shade, water, and a house to go in
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. - they get fresh water 4-5 times per day and are on purina layer feed
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. - she hasnt pooped yet
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? - i brought her inside and cleaned off her bum
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? - i would like to treat her myself
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use - they are in a 12 x 8 coop with a large run outside. There are woodshavnings in the coop

Last edited:
Well now she is dead...If anyone has any ideas of what it was or what to do to prevent/cure anyone else getting it, it would be greatly appreciated

I'm so sorry you lost her. I would think the eye issue might be a symptom that would help identify what happened. Is there any chance she was injured? Sometimes blood in the eye can indicate a brain injury.

I hope someone with more knowledge can help.

Quote:

I wonder if she was eggbound or got into some bad food or botulism? If it were worms I'd think you'd have some prior deterioration. How was her weight? You could try a necropsy. So sorry. I do like the araucana's, they're generally sweet and pretty.

Last edited:
Yea I am going to do a necropsy tonight I think. She may have been egg bound as they were due to start laying any day. I'll let you know how it goes

Well she wasn't egg bound because she was a he. Fooling me with his complete lack of comb. All I found was that he was really skinny with almost no body fat. Maybe the others were bullying it and not letting him eat.

Back
Top Bottom