Araucana thread anyone?

Can't wait to be able to see the pictures, Rumbull, when you get up to ten posts
big_smile.png

Welcome aboard!

This Little Araucana has a problem, it has a hard time holding its head up. Its head looks too big for the size of the body. I am thinking about culling him. Just got to do it when my wife is not home. When it first hatched it could not hold its self up, that was four days ago. Now it is able to walk around a little but still will not hold its head up for more than a couple seconds. WHAT should I do with this chick? Give it a few more day or cull it now? I am also wondering if has some kind of a disease that may be passed to the other chicks? Oh, and one more thing about this chick, it is Double Tuffed...

sickchick1.jpg

That is chick starter feed on him.
sickchick21.jpg

Quote:
It really doesn't matter as long as it is healthy. I try to keep them all. Hope to have over 200 hundred soon. Have 53 now and still hatching more.

If you think the chick is suffering, culling as soon as possible would be the best bet. It could have some congenital neurological problem. I had a turkey poult that behaved the same way, and at a week old it started having seizures so I culled it. Up to you if and when you do it.

Rumbull,
Welcome. I'm in SW Missouri too. I have more hatching eggs than I can hatch right now and it's too hot to ship. If you want them, I would give you a dozen+ to incubate if you can pick them up. That might give you some tufted and rumpless for next years breeders. Where are you located? You can PM me if you prefer. I'm about 35 miles north of Springfield.

smile.png
frow.gif
Also, we will be making a short trip out to Maryland to see the kids in August. If there is anyone in between here and there interested in hatching eggs or young birds, PM me.

Sega, Sorry about the little puny chick, it most likely won't make it. Chicks are very fragile at times and by the time they show illness, they're nearly gone. Congrats on the others, the little tufted black is super nice
smile.png
I love the black ones with the white tufts, I wish they would stay white when they're grown, that would be cool, black with white earrings
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom