Araucana thread anyone?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by megcpat, Jan 23, 2010.

1. suzannaski

suzannaski Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    Quote:They were shipped in the worst of the heat wave. I emailed him asking him to wait, but he says he mailed them out as soon as he got my payment, and said he never had a problem. They were in paper towels in a styrofoam egg container, and then packed in crumpled newspaper in a box. Not really a good insulator.
    I'll candle again in a few days.
    I've spent so much money on hatching eggs, and I still don't have any araucanas. But I found a local gal who just recently got into raising araucanas, so I am hopeful again. [​IMG] My husband just shakes his head.

Thanks Smoothmule for the luck. I need it. [​IMG]

2. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
    Quote:It is often much cheaper in the long run to buy young birds or adults and have them shipped. I realized this after a few batches of Serama eggs and nothing hatching.
    Besides you know what sex and color you are getting up front!

3. suzannaski

suzannaski Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    I've come to that conclusion, too.
    I worry too much about live animals being shipped. I've been a consultant for the PO on a couple projects, and I've seen how they handle adult and baby poultry at the PO distribution center.
    I'm doubly thankful to have an Araucana neighbor now!

4. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    Ruth is right, the only upside to the hatching eggs is that they are not sorted before shipped. It's easy to spot the rumpless and tufted ones and they are so hard to come by that I am not likely to let loose of my best either. I've hatched enough double tufted though that I will be selling several single tufted or double tufted that the tufts are small or they have some other fault. I'm cleaning house this fall and will keep only the ones I plan for breeding next year and I'm still hatching so there will be all ages. The ones I hatched earlier this spring may lay a few eggs this fall and will be ready to go early spring. Lucy has laid 2 pullet eggs so far, a little elongated, a little small (but they will be larger when she's more mature) and hers are a very pretty blue. The red pyle pullet will be right behind her and then the next pullets later this fall. Most of the others won't lay till late spring that are hatching now..

I am pretty done for the season myself, as far as hatching, but I will still sell eggs and may hatch a few but just from my best. I have a non-working, wine cooler that is going to be turned into my next incubator and I'll use some of the guts from my styrofoam incubator so my hatcher may double as an incubator for a while this fall. I'll have to test it out before spring though so I'll hatch some Serama's since they'll be easier to keep inside this winter.

Have you checked out the new Araucana breeder near you? I have to say that I have not had a single issue with shipping birds but then they are usually at least 6 months or more. I have shipped and received and they are fresh and happy when they arrive. I've never gotten any that were stressed looking or ill and the girls at the post office here get a kick out of hearing them clucking or crowing.

Cathy

5. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    My friend has Tolbunt araucana bantams [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I can't freakN believe it [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Will post pics [​IMG] seriously still can't believe it [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  6. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:What?!!

I would love to see pictures (and maybe be put in touch with said friend, if they sell hatching eggs? [​IMG])

7. smoothmule

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    We're traveling from SW Missouri to Patuxent River, Maryland on August 18th. It's too hot to ship but I can bring along some chicks to sell (possibly some hatching eggs) if anyone is looking for large fowl Araucana or American Serama's. I have 8 chicks sold that will drop off in Kentucky for an excited new breeder. I have a variety of colors, some standard, some not. All are rumpless, some have a single tuft and a few double tufted. From a few weeks to near laying age and some are old enough to be sexed. I can't load the car down but I do have room for more. We travel though Lexintgon,KY and pretty much stay on that highway most of the way out there. We won't have time to get off the highway so it will require they be picked up along our route but it will save shipping and shipping box costs as well as be less stressful on the birds. The Serama chicks are out of excellent quality parent's, photo's and information on request as well, limited number available of both breeds. Prices are based on quality but I can't guarantee show quality or even standard although I am breeding toward that standard. I'll provide as much information as I can.

Anyone interested can email me for photo's, prices and other details.
    [email protected]

Cathy

8. smoothmule

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    Isn't Tolbunt the same color as Mille de Fleur?

9. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I know someone who is working on bantam mille araucana. She had one at the Stockton show last January. He was soo pretty. I don't have my mille anymore.

Lanae

10. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    Tolbunt has some lacing, look up Tolbunt polish for description.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by