Araucana thread anyone?

He's nice.
smile.png

If you want to know the faults and good traits, here's some I see:

Yellow legs - bad
Color - good, although I don't know about the neck-back junction there. Seems smutty.
Comb and wattles - looking good so far, I hope they don't flop or fold
smile.png

Overall color - The breast could do with absolutely no red, but, I find it a little hard to find duckwings without that extra melanizer
Body - Is he a bantam or LF? For an LF he could use a lot more rear, but for a bantam I don't know

Yellow legs - bad
Color - good, although I don't know about the neck-back junction there. Seems smutty.
Comb and wattles - looking good so far, I hope they don't flop or fold
Overall color - The breast could do with absolutely no red, but, I find it a little hard to find duckwings without that extra melanizer
Body - Is he a bantam or LF? For an LF he could use a lot more rear, but for a bantam I don't know

Thank you! This is just what I was after. When Lanae sold him to me, she schooled me on the leg color issue and the possibility of some off coloring. She says he has a Columbian gene. Won't his color continue to develop as he matures?

He is LF. I can't think what I could do to donk up his be-donk-a-donk:lol:. I guess it's out of my hands. He does seem slight to me based on photos I've seen of other birds around his age. One of his hens is at least as big as he is.

Illia (and anyone else), how does one go about moving toward the correct leg color?​

Last edited:
I agree with all comments. I will say his wing carriage is just about perfect. I am having a tough time with getting drooping wings in my roos. Something for me to keep working on. He looks very much like his grandfather except he has a better comb and wrong leg color.

Lanae

You guys are moving out pretty fast!
lol.png
I have been too busy with surviving the heat wave here that I haven't been reading much. I lost a few Araucana chicks, one rooster (Guy) and 4 of my Serama's to the heat. It was 113 at the most but hovered around 100 to 105 for the past month and it finally took it's toll when it hit 113 despite the shade, fresh cool water twice a day (more often on my days off work) and fans everywhere.

I have a bunch sold but not picked up yet and these guys just keep on laying in this weather. They're amazing. I've found the ones laid on the hottest days have not been fertile so I'm not been saving them lately, just eating them. I'll start collecting when it cools again, at least below 100 degrees.

Welcome to our newest breeders! There are pages and pages of photo's here to look through. Here is my website http://fivehillsfarm.tripod.com/ for photo's of some of mine and some of my chicks hatched here. There is a link to the photobucket album that I keep adding to so they are updated everytime I add pictures.

Hi Clint! Good to see another New Englander Araucana person, also a rare breed
smile.png

Lanae, I'm confused about the leg color. I thought Araucanas were supposed to have yellow based skin, not white. That was how I could tell my roo wasn't "pure"- because the bottoms of his feet didn't have yellow (his shanks, neither).
Can you explain it better if you have time?

frow.gif

I keep meaning to take a picture of a very interesting Araucana I hatched out. (it isn't really a 100% araucana) But, my Black Araucana boy got in with my Plymouth Barred Rock Hens in March 2011. I hatched out of a pinkish colored brown egg a b/w Barred, Rumpless, clean faced, yellow legged cockrel. His comb is a bit off but, other than that he really really does look like he fits the mold.....lol!

I will have to get you guys some photo's just so you can see what he looks like. He's going to be big I know that b/c he towers over my 100% araucana chicks/juvies hatched the same day.

Last edited:
Leg color. Araucana have yellow skin, so all their leg color will be yellow based ( soles of their feet mostly) but most of the breed colors need to have willow legs which is a greenish looking color. The white feathered birds and splashs can have yellow legs ( splash is not a recognized color, splash can have black legs, or willow legs also because they are not a standard color ). Black feathered birds legs should be black to dark willow ( but still yellow on the bottom) I think all the other colors of araucana need to have willow.

This pullet has nice willow legs to illustrate
19098_tufted_wheaten_1.jpg

Lanae

Last edited:
So does that mean my barred will be acceptable to have yellow legs? just kidding I really do need to get a pic up here. You guys will do a double take and say what the heck is that thing??? lol
gig.gif

Quote:

When it gets cool enough to ship, I wonder if anyone has a tufted, rumpless pullet, and a tufted rumpless roo to sell?
A possum killed my only tufted, rumpless roo, and the only pullets I have are a clean-faced rumpless one, and a tufted tailed one. I have an abundance of roos, but all clean-faced. I need to get rid of at least 2 or 3 of the roos.
Any color of pullet and roo would be fine.
Norma

Back
Top Bottom