Araucana thread anyone?

Nice!! Looks like daddy's carrying some duckwing and you got yourself there a very pretty Splash Breasted Red, err, Red Breasted Splash in this case
wink.png

I honestly don't want any more splashes in my flock and so far am lucky to rarely come across them, even with my blue/blue based breeding. I LOVED my last full splash hen but I don't have any solids to make a true nice splash like that. Just duckwings and cuckoos.

Nice!! Looks like daddy's carrying some duckwing and you got yourself there a very pretty Splash Breasted Red, err, Red Breasted Splash in this case

Why do you think the daddy has duckwing? The pullet chick is a carbon copy of the mother except she is blue where the mother is splash. It is a very pale blue. I can see that the mother may be duckwing based with the red breast. I am getting solid chicks without the red breast from this pair also. In the group photo there is a splash chick to her immediate right and then a solid blue chick on the end. Neither of them have the red breast. This leads me to believe that the father is not duckwing.​

Quote:
Why do you think the daddy has duckwing? The pullet chick is a carbon copy of the mother except she is blue where the mother is splash. It is a very pale blue. I can see that the mother may be duckwing based with the red breast. I am getting solid chicks without the red breast from this pair also. In the group photo there is a splash chick to her immediate right and then a solid blue chick on the end. Neither of them have the red breast. This leads me to believe that the father is not duckwing.

Because the pullet is a full duckwing w/splash. Just like mom. Dad is not full duckwing, he's half, making the offspring just like shown -

You'll get a 50/50 of either mostly to purely blues and splashes, though all the girls will appear pure, and then 50/50 of pure duckwings, blue and splash. The males who aren't pure duckwing will noticeably have a some to a lot of leakage on the wings, hackle, and likely saddle too.

If the pullet did not carry ducking she wouldn't have the prolific characteristic of salmony reddish pink on the breast. She'd instead look like a normal pure splash, or a mostly white splash with just a slight hint of blue here and there. Also notice, the pullet as a chick was striped just like a duckwing.

Duckwing is recessive to E/E (solid blue, black, or splash) So a male carrying one copy will not look like a duckwing. He'll either be a blue, black, or splash with leakage of varying amount.

My hen "Josephine" is half-duckwing, and her offspring with a pure duckwing so far gave me mostly pure duckwings. It's a luck of the draw, just like tufts or male vs female.
smile.png

Duckwing is recessive to E/E (solid blue, black, or splash) So a male carrying one copy will not look like a duckwing. He'll either be a blue, black, or splash with leakage of varying amount.

Ok so I think I am following you... So Duckwing is recessive to E/E (Blue or Black). If my male was full E/E and the hen being Duckwing based, none of their off spring would have the chipmunk pattern or red breast. Is that right? They would all be blue or splash and some would minor leakage on the shoulders or hackles?

Because the pullet is a full duckwing w/splash. Just like mom.

Can you share with me what you are seeing that makes you believe that the young pullet is splash? She has none of the dark feathers that her mother and sibling have. From what I have read regarding BBS breeding, Black x Blue produces dark blue... and Splash x Blue produces light blue. Yes, I know the percentages of offspring from each combination, but I thought what I had here was a very pale blue pullet.
The sibling to her right is typical splash with the dark splotches showing on a white/grey background.
99716_sam_1664_crop.jpg

Answering the first question - Yes.
smile.png

She could be a light blue too, I thought you mentioned her as a splash earlier, so I went with it. Her color as a chick would help confirm it but I can't tell with the current photo shown, there's a lot of flash on it.

So I just noticed - Is that a Cuckoo cockerel in the photo? An Araucana cockerel??

Last edited:
Megan's hubby picked up her birds today. They are now headed to their new home. I had a empty pen for about two seconds. Then I cleaned it and moved all my duckwings in. What a relief. I had them spread over various grow out pens. Now they are together. It was very exciting to stand outside their pen and see the future of my duckwings checking out their new home. I am soo happy.

Lanae

Back
Top Bottom