Araucana thread anyone?

I use simple 'ol 4 foot fencing for my Araucanas, but, that's the girls who enjoy their pasture. If they wanted they wouldn't need to climb anything, they can just fly up and over from a standstill. But thankfully only my one girl does that sort of stuff, and honestly, she just jumps to the top of the fence, perches, then hops down to the other side. And her wings ARE clipped.
lol.png

My girls aren't too terrible about confinement though (although their "confinement" is about 2 acres) but I do know their flying skills because of my first times putting them in the breeding pen. Wow. The walls/fence to it are about 7-8 feet tall and the pen is pretty small, but, my girls find a way. One of them just took off; - She flew about 9 feet up and went across a stretch of about 50 feet, then landed. It was incredible.

I'm going to need to go up a few feet for the sides and then I'll need to do the top. I'll start with the sides I guess and see what Queen Isabela does with that. I think it will contain the shamo at least. I worry about stray dogs during the day while I am gone.
sharon

The hen I mentioned (the super-filer) Personally I think she's got some serious show quality traits. Except of course for her non-recognized colors and her irregular tufts.

6274828965_1b88335aff_z.jpg

6274827965_b707e92266_z.jpg

She's got such a wonderful body, but sadly she hasn't given me an egg in a loong time. She was broody for sometime, then took her break after setting on infertile eggs, then molted, now she's just taking a vacation for a couple months. Quite annoying and not normal for my Araucanas. She's in great health though.

The hen I mentioned (the super-filer) Personally I think she's got some serious show quality traits. Except of course for her non-recognized colors and her irregular tufts.

Working with the cuckoo color... Should the leg color be willow as well? I would assume that they would be willow with a darker shin.
They go nuts on the ameraucana thread about how it is impossible to have slate legs and cuckoo.​

Well, it is true.

ALL my cuckoos and all the cuckoos I've seen have yellow legs, and that's about the best you can get (with some green tinge) - The barred color does dilute the greens and slates.

Here is one of my little cuckoos. She is 3 months old about.

19098_cleanfaced_barred_roo_10-11-2011.jpg

The lighter cuckoo my birds are the more green they will have in their legs. The darker cuckoo the more yellow almost orange their legs seem to be.

Lanae

Just wanna announce with excitement, I've got my first Araucana hatched out of the day now!
big_smile.png
My last batch I hatched was about 2 months ago, possibly more, so it's exciting to get back into the game again. This one looks like it is going to be a blue-based duckwing. VERY pale coloration. No tufts that I can see of.

But I do have a tufted Olive Egger that hatched out!
celebrate.gif
It appears to be rumpless too! So far - I've got one who's daddy is my Blue Cuckoo, and it is most definitely barred, and I've got another who's solid chocolate brown with a very white underside. I'm honestly stumped on that one's color; what it is, how it got it. All my Olive Eggers this round are 1/2 Black Copper, 1/2 either Columbian-Duckwing or Blue Cuckoo. The duckwing would just make black chicks as the rest are. . . Even if the Black Copper parent was carrying Wheaten, the chick would be yellow, not brown.

I'm very curious to see how it matures. And boy is it a FAT and huge one!
smile.png

Edited; it's rumpless not tailed. thought it was tailed

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom