Araucana thread anyone?

Enjoying the sunny WA weather. I hatched these three out this last fall. 2 boys and one girl. Named by my daughter. :)

Blueberry

crooked toed Lavie

Partial tail Blackie-boo
Nice tufts. Looks like they are helping you with your gardening!
wink.png

My blue to blue breeding last year produced nearly all blue chicks. Very few splash and only a couple of blacks. I did get one black tufted and rumpless pullet. She is turning out to be a pretty good looking lady. No leakage at all. I kept her and she layed her first egg today. Found it on the floor of the coop rather than in the nesting boxes. It looked like a nice blue until I held it next to the color chart. It's a C12. Not bad. I will eventually work more on egg color. I don't have any hens laying in the B's or A's. Right now I am culling more for body type, cleaning up the earlobes and tightening up the comb. I don't keep anything with leakage either. I am ready to start incubating again. Only getting a few eggs sporadically because the weather can't decide what to do. 60 one day and 30 the next!

Someone asked for pictures... but I realized this is the most recent I have.

The late Mr. Reggie (lack of adoption options turned this beauty to stew)

His sister, who is still kicking and laying better than all my bigwig hatchery LF, is all black with an equally beautiful rump. Of the three I had, my uncle took Little Man (great personality), I kept Mr. Reggie and Miss Lady, was forced to process Reggie and still have Miss Lady. Reggie was a skittish and not very protective dude, but I would have kept him simply for his sheer beauty. His legs were pea green as a chick. I think this BBR-mix roo may have stolen my heart for color.
love.gif

The kicker: none of them weighs more than 20oz. No idea how that little girl cranks out a 1.6oz egg every day. She lays 21 days and takes 4 off. What a little champ. Hopefully I'll have her bred to her brother this year and get some more of the best natured, lowest feed consumption little egg machines I've ever met.

Couldn't ask for more and can't wait to settle down to a point where I can work on raising LF Araucana, if only because I no longer have a connection for local bantams. Sad day!

Last edited:
Someone asked for pictures... but I realized this is the most recent I have.

The late Mr. Reggie (lack of adoption options turned this beauty to stew)

His sister, who is still kicking and laying better than all my bigwig hatchery LF, is all black with an equally beautiful rump. Of the three I had, my uncle took Little Man (great personality), I kept Mr. Reggie and Miss Lady, was forced to process Reggie and still have Miss Lady. Reggie was a skittish and not very protective dude, but I would have kept him simply for his sheer beauty. His legs were pea green as a chick. I think this BBR-mix roo may have stolen my heart for color.
love.gif

The kicker: none of them weighs more than 20oz. No idea how that little girl cranks out a 1.6oz egg every day. She lays 21 days and takes 4 off. What a little champ. Hopefully I'll have her bred to her brother this year and get some more of the best natured, lowest feed consumption little egg machines I've ever met.

Couldn't ask for more and can't wait to settle down to a point where I can work on raising LF Araucana, if only because I no longer have a connection for local bantams. Sad day!
Well according to the SOP for large fowl the late Mr. Reggie was the most correctly colored BBred rooster I have ever seen in the araucana. I would have been proud to have him if he had been large fowl. Truly a stunning bird.

What does the two you still have left look like.

Lanae

My blue to blue breeding last year produced nearly all blue chicks. Very few splash and only a couple of blacks. I did get one black tufted and rumpless pullet. She is turning out to be a pretty good looking lady. No leakage at all. I kept her and she layed her first egg today. Found it on the floor of the coop rather than in the nesting boxes. It looked like a nice blue until I held it next to the color chart. It's a C12. Not bad. I will eventually work more on egg color. I don't have any hens laying in the B's or A's. Right now I am culling more for body type, cleaning up the earlobes and tightening up the comb. I don't keep anything with leakage either. I am ready to start incubating again. Only getting a few eggs sporadically because the weather can't decide what to do. 60 one day and 30 the next!
Sounding good there! Any time you want to cut loose with photo's, have at it
wink.png
I Love the photo's here

Here is my Incubation Station now that it is set up and running. I am hoping to be able to fill both of the incubators once my hens start laying reliably. Right now I only have 50 eggs in the incubator on the right, but everything is on and warmed up to temp. I set a new batch of eggs every weekend and hope to set another 30 to 50 eggs this Saturday evening. Of course now that everything is running, the girls will stop laying I am sure.

Here is the Araucana Breed Club table I set up and manned at the Humboldt Poultry Assn. Show last weekend

And here is the birds I entered in the show.

Morris Jazz - Best of Variety & Bella Spice - Best of Variety
Reserve Best of Breed Best of Breed

Overall the year is starting out pretty good.

Lanae

Last edited:
hi puddinFluff....your hens are real nice looking....i'm curious about hatching eggs....there is a teacher in my district who hatches eggs in her elementary classroom...so i was thinking i would get ahold of some blue hatching eggs and see if i can get some hens that will lay blue eggs....how many eggs did you incubate to hatch out those three???? i'm just wondering what the odds are...i know it is a very exacting science.
lavenderwilder

Here is my Incubation Station now that it is set up and running. I am hoping to be able to fill both of the incubators once my hens start laying reliably. Right now I only have 50 eggs in the incubator on the right, but everything is on and warmed up to temp. I set a new batch of eggs every weekend and hope to set another 30 to 50 eggs this Saturday evening. Of course now that everything is running, the girls will stop laying I am sure.

What kind of incubator do you have? What is your percentage of successful hatches? I want to get an incubator but nothing as big as yours. I have been looking at the Brinsea Oval 20 EX - auto everything including humidity.

Here is the Araucana Breed Club table I set up and manned at the Humboldt Poultry Assn. Show last weekend

Love your set up - nice and clean!

And here is the birds I entered in the show.

Morris Jazz - Best of Variety & Bella Spice - Best of Variety
Reserve Best of Breed Best of Breed

I of course love Morris but Spice is very, very nice!
love.gif

Overall the year is starting out pretty good.

Lanae

Back
Top Bottom