Araucana thread anyone?

thumbsup.gif

Extra Java,
I would put him with a black hen. Even if she has red/gold leakage. I would then breed his daughters back to him. There may be Lavender in him, but I believe it is chocolate/dun/khaki. It is inhibiting the black. He recreates his color in his offspring when bred to black or wild type BBR with only 1 generation.
I am not very good with genetics. I only learn in areas I am interested in so I could be way off. Several times I went to sell him but he is so beautiful in the sunlight he looks like gold. He is so friendly thus his name Buddy and he my husbands favorite.
Thank you so much for all the help on this! My husband is liking him too and now he wants to call him "Bud Light"
highfive.gif

The gold sure is beautiful and very unique. I hope to see this again...maybe I will!...I have 3 black hens and he sure stands out next to them.

BTW: Thanks for sending me all of those hens! Best hatch rate and ratios I've ever had.
smile.png

I am so glad it is working out for you! They are such a great breed and not enough breeders around. I love the Bud Light!!!!
I have a lot of chickens and a lot of Araucanas and Buddy is the only one with that glimmering gold (although he son I kept is getting close, he is also starting to glimmer. Maybe that is a good name for a daughter.

Extra Java,
I would put him with a black hen. Even if she has red/gold leakage. I would then breed his daughters back to him. There may be Lavender in him, but I believe it is chocolate/dun/khaki. It is inhibiting the black. He recreates his color in his offspring when bred to black or wild type BBR with only 1 generation.
I am not very good with genetics. I only learn in areas I am interested in so I could be way off. Several times I went to sell him but he is so beautiful in the sunlight he looks like gold. He is so friendly thus his name Buddy and he my husbands favorite.
That would be a great choice, black hens are great for most dilutes to work with those colors.

Ray n Debi, Do you have Lavenders in your flock? There are no duns/chocolate/Khaki in the Araucana's yet, it would have to be brought in with another breed, like I'm doing with my recessive chocolates. I'm betting Lanae's right about the Lavender and you're right on for saying to breed him to the black hens then take his pullets back to him. Are any of your black hens from Lavender crosses? I think that to get lavender with the first cross, the hens must have a lavender gene. I'd love to have a cockerel out of your Buddy. I remember him from previous photo's, such a wonderful color.

No he his hens are not from my lavenders. And dun was seen early with the Araucana breed. If I remember reading correctly The polish duns were created with Araucanas. I will have to search my notes.

No he his hens are not from my lavenders. And dun was seen early with the Araucana breed. If I remember reading correctly The polish duns were created with Araucanas. I will have to search my notes.
If there were duns at any time, I'm pretty sure there would be now and there hasn't been any that I have ever seen anywhere. I have been considering adding dun as another project later. It's not something that could be hidden for so long

Here is a link to dun saying it was found in Araucanas. I am too tired to read it now and of course you can't believe everything you read.
http://www.chickencolours.com/Brownies & Khakis.pdf
Sigs is a friend of mine, I'll have to ask about it. Do you have any chocolate when bred to black then?

ETA, I just sent Sigrid an email. For years, we messaged back and forth.... then between the work and all, we just hadn't visited in a long time about the chocolates (my Serama's are recessive chocolate). I am hoping Sigrid will have some knowledge about where ir who had duns if they were actually in Araucana's or if it was "said" somewhere that there was. This isn't a gene that would go under the wire, un-noticed. It would definitely stand out because there "would" be some chocolate duns if bred to black and there just isn't any that I've ever seen. I've been planning, once I have my chocolates set and producing, to add Dun as another project pen.
One sure way to tell if yours are duns are test breeding. The really light ones may be platinum, if it's dun. If bred to black the chicks should be darker than the dun parent (khaki) and bred again to black, the chicks would be chocolate duns. This would not be a color that wouldn't be noticed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom