Araucana thread anyone?

Breeding question...

I have a gorgeous Lemon-Blue Cockerel I would like to use. What color hens would be good for him?
blue gold birchens or if you cannot find one of those, which you wont cause you will have to make them. You might be able to find a birchen hen, then breed them together and keep the blue birchen hens then breed them and keep the blue with gold in the neck hens. LOL! It would be a great project.

Lanae

OK...now you know this was coming next...How do I make a Blue Gold Birchen?
This is the cockerel...am I correct on his coloring, "Lemon Blue?"

I have a white hen and a few other colors I don't know what to call...LOL

Still learning.

Sorry, here he is...

I actually have some blue gold birchen chicks by my rooster, Joker, and my gold birchen hens.
I have more eggs to hatch that will be by Joker then turned Joker out and put Rudy in that pen for a while. I'm expecting there will be more. I don't blame you for wanting to make more, he is a beautiful rooster!

The chick on the left is blue gold birchen. You can see the difference between this one and the typical blue chick on the right.

Here is another one too, this one is double tufted. Just hatched today so it's not quite fluffed up yet.

I don't know if they're cockerels or pullets yet. I plan to sell most of my chicks as just started chicks, straight run.

He is lighter, all over, than what a simple blue gold birchen would be. I'd love to know what other diluter is present. I thought I could play with the color calculator and thought that S+/s+ rather than s+/s+ would work but it didn't dilute the shoulders....

I played with it some more and what I got looked pretty close to this roosters color (I think)
ER/ER Bl/bl+ S/s+

Reading up on the lemon blue, you should be able to use gold birchens. Blue birchens will give you splash birchens but splash birchens to gold birchens will work too. The trick to getting the hackles so light seems to be the rooster being a gold/silver split.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/608357/lemon-blue-saddle-color-genetics

Last edited:
Sorry, here he is...

WOW! I am not sure he is a blue gold birchen. Birchen yes ( crow wing not coloring) He looks like a lavender based on crow wing ( so solid color wing) and 1 copy of gold, but I am not totally sure.

Cathy, plug that in for me and see what you get.

Lanae

WOW! I am not sure he is a blue gold birchen. Birchen yes ( crow wing not coloring) He looks like a lavender based on crow wing ( so solid color wing) and 1 copy of gold, but I am not totally sure.

Cathy, plug that in for me and see what you get.

Lanae
Lanae,
I did it again, but still the shoulders were darker. Maybe his owner has some idea of the colors that the hen and rooster were that this guy is out of.
If you go here http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html and leave everything the same except change the "E" to ER/ER and the S to S/s+ and the "I" to I^s/I^d then BL to Bl/bl+ the phenotype appears the same. I really don't even understand the "I" other than it's a dominant white thing. Either could be correct in the possible Araucana color genes so it kind of comes down to knowing his breeding and what is possible. If there is no Lavender in his breeding, then there may be dominant white but the parent colors may not be known so breeding him may give some idea. I really like the color, I hope it can be reproduced. I've been dealing with the same difficulty in figuring out Jokers genetic make up. If dominant white could be disguised by simply diluting colors, then Joker may be some form of dominant white. If not, then he is carrying a recessive white gene. I'm still lost there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom