Araucana thread anyone?

My Araucana pullet has been laying now for about 3 weeks.

This first photo is her egg on the scale. Believe it or not her first ones were itsy-bitsy-ier
th.gif

This egg is from one of my Easter Egger. She is a pullet from last spring and this is her "regular" size of egg.

These eggs from left to right by breed/ (size per weight scale) are:
Welsummer (med), Araucana pullet (peewee), Easter Egger (medium), White Jersey Giant (small/medium); and Black Jersey Giant (large).

Is this a normal size for an Araucana pullet or is this a banty size? I have never had banties or Araucanas so I do not know what a normal size is for either of them.

Thanks for your answers.
That's a normal size for an araucana pullet. I have a 5 month old pullet that started a couple of weeks ago and her eggs are so tiny. They usually get a bit bigger but never really large.

Lanae

That's a normal size for an araucana pullet. I have a 5 month old pullet that started a couple of weeks ago and her eggs are so tiny. They usually get a bit bigger but never really large.

Lanae
X2 my araucana pullet lays an egg a little larger than that, but not very.

I don't have any araucana girls so no eggs, but the eggs I set when I hatched Little man were on the small side, not tiny, and bigger then the houdan eggs, but definately about the size of a medium store egg (maybe a tad smaller)

I have a fair start now. Going to take a couple more years or more. Here is one of my pullets. Still a lot of things to correct but the plan is coming along well.
That is a wonderful start! It will be fun watching you develop these. :). + watching while eating popcorn (the iPad version)

Now that I know my Araucana eggs are normal. I wanted to know about tails. Several people have posted Araucanas with tails and they look like normal tails. My rooster has like about sixish tail feathers:

So how much of a tail bone does he have, if any? My pullet in front of him has such a short rump, her eggs come out with some poop on them. Will a tailed rooster like I have improve that?
fl.gif

Thanks for all your answers! You are all so kind to share your knowledge!

Tails are something that crop up time to time with the araucana. Usually they are in the form of the rooster you have. Several hanging tail feathers, which usually means that the rooster is rumples but still has tail modifier genes causing tail feathers with no real place to go. In my project color pen ( my red paints) the main rooster have 4 such tail feathers. The problem I am getting with him is that he does throw the fully tailed bird everyonce in a while. About 10% of the time. So you will get a small percentage of fully tailed birds, probabaly 50 % partially tailed and the rest will be rumples. His overall body length is good which will help with your hens shorter back.

Lanae

Tails are something that crop up time to time with the araucana. Usually they are in the form of the rooster you have. Several hanging tail feathers, which usually means that the rooster is rumples but still has tail modifier genes causing tail feathers with no real place to go. In my project color pen ( my red paints) the main rooster have 4 such tail feathers. The problem I am getting with him is that he does throw the fully tailed bird everyonce in a while. About 10% of the time. So you will get a small percentage of fully tailed birds, probabaly 50 % partially tailed and the rest will be rumples. His overall body length is good which will help with your hens shorter back.

Lanae
I have a few too ;)

Back
Top Bottom