Araucana thread anyone?

Have a question. Anyone crossed an Araucana with a blue laced red Wyandotte?
This is my rooster

Any idea what the offspring would look like?

REALLY? I didnt know that! He has alot of color bleed...or whatever it is called.? I was told most breeders would cull him. He should be completely black correct?

Tails are something that crop up time to time with the araucana. Usually they are in the form of the rooster you have. Several hanging tail feathers, which usually means that the rooster is rumples but still has tail modifier genes causing tail feathers with no real place to go. In my project color pen ( my red paints) the main rooster have 4 such tail feathers. The problem I am getting with him is that he does throw the fully tailed bird everyonce in a while. About 10% of the time. So you will get a small percentage of fully tailed birds, probabaly 50 % partially tailed and the rest will be rumples. His overall body length is good which will help with your hens shorter back.

Lanae

There is a young man in our "neighborhood" who has fallen on hard times and was having a heck of a time last year. I would stop and talk to him every now and then. One time, he was very discouraged. His property is right on a corner so when people go by they naturally look to see what he is doing. He said he felt like he was in a fish bowl with everybody watching him all the time. I told him he was right we all did do that because we all wanted to make sure he was o.k. He stopped dead in his tracks and said "I never thought of it that way but you are right. One time I was gone and someone was at my place to watch the animals for me. One of the neighbors called me to let me know about it.". He has now become the neighborhood project, so to speak We all watch out for him, give him useful items, and hire him for odd jobs here and there. A month or so ago some dingbat went and stole his ladder! We were going to go buy him one - too late - someone had already bought him a really nice utility ladder. He started out with just 2 goats and now has about 10 that he is hiring out to eat brush.

So last year, he became my chicken partner in crime when I asked him, "would you raise some chicks for me and I'll buy you some chicks of your own for doing it.". So last year I bought him somewhere around 20 - after all it IS chicken math. This last summer he was able to make some money by selling their eggs. My stepson is close to him in age and they are friends. So my stepson's mission was to find out how many chickens this young man really needed to make his egg business pay. So I ordered 35 chick pullets for him and 5 white leghorn chick pullets for me. We lost 4 the first day but they had sent 3 extra.

That is very interesting about the tails. Sometimes, when he walks by his tail feathers are so loose looking you almost feel like reaching over and plucking them. .
gig.gif
So, if I cross the white leghorns with my Araucana what would their tails be like? Would I still get blue eggs or ??? I am interested in this cross to see if I can increase the size of the eggs and improve egg production. I know there is a project similar to this on this on BYC @ University of Arkansas but, it has ended and the eggs are expensive. I also ordered 4 tufted, rumpless Araucana pullets this winter for delivery in May or June. They will be about 8 weeks old when they arrive and should be laying by this next fall.

I saw your red paints for sale. How do the red paints differ from the red pyle? I think they are really cool looking. Can't wait to see you develop this color like Cathey is doing with the chocolates..

As always,

Thanks so much for your help

you will get both white eggers and blue eggers from the araucana / leghorn mix. you will also get both tailed and rumpless. i have a "blue egger" flock (small, three or four) - - they were originally crosses of the same. i opted for the small frame and tail. i like them a lot. and they lay the bluest eggs. and a lot of them.

they don't look like a leghorn, nor do they look like an araucana. they are kind of their own thing. that said, they obviously look more like the leghorn due to the tail, etc. but they have rose combs (another trait i selected for).

anyhoo.....play around. enjoy. have fun. life is short. let us know what you come up with.

as a final note, i'm not talking from a genetic point of view, or science at all, really. talking from experience. mixing the two was a fun project and i'm happy with the outcome. of course, it's taken me a while to get where i'm at with it. but totally worth it. and i selected for the things i wanted. i strongly recommend doing the same! :)

REALLY? I didnt know that! He has alot of color bleed...or whatever it is called.? I was told most breeders would cull him. He should be completely black correct?
Well he does have a lot of black, but he is conformationaly (sp) correct and everyone needs to start somewhere. If you bred him to a black hen you would get a percentage of darker roosters with less bleed thru and then when bred back to the mother you would eventually get pure black birds. You can make a pure black bird out of almost any genotype if you add enough black enhancers.

I have a lovely black hen that I bred to a wheaten rooster and she gave me 1 pure black with no bleed thru rooster. The hens will hide color but rooster cannot, so I know he is pure black.
'
Lanae

Last edited:
Well he does have a lot of black, but he is conformationaly (sp) correct and everyone needs to start somewhere. If you bred him to a black hen you would get a percentage of darker roosters with less bleed thru and then when bred back to the mother you would eventually get pure black birds. You can make a pure black bird out of almost any genotype if you add enough black enhancers.

I have a lovely black hen that I bred to a wheaten rooster and she gave me 1 pure black with no bleed thru rooster. The hens will hide color but rooster cannot, so I know he is pure black.
'
Lanae
Thank You for the info. It is very helpful. I actually have an all black hen but I have had some issues with the hens from this breeder not being able to lay their first egg and had to cull them...so I don't really think I should hatch out any eggs from her and this rooster. I am sure they are pretty heavily related. Do you have any advice on that? I was planning to get some Araucana chicks next year from a different bloodline to hatch out some chicks

Back
Top Bottom