Araucana thread anyone?

I haven't posted much lately but I recently got a pair of birds from smoothmule that I will be using to work on BBR araucanas and some other projects. The rooster might end up going with some hens to work on black araucanas too. In addition to those, we still have the bantam white pair we got at a show and the hen is a broody machine. Then they got some young birds at a show auction, all are tufted/rumpless. There is a blue, a black, and a cuckoo. The black has a single comb but I think it's a pullet. They are all supposed to be bantams but only the cuckoo looks smaller. Either way, we already enjoy them. I will try to get some pics soon. The pair I got from Cathy are great, the hen lays daily and the cockerel has a huge frame that is filling in nicely.

Hey Fllowerchicks,
feel free to stick around and read through this thread. There are plenty of us that started with so called "araucana" Easter Eggers. It was when I started reading about my Mom's "araucana" that I found this thread and realized that she did not have the real thing. She does not care because they are barn yard egg layer. After reading about the tufts and rumplessness, I was intrigued and  caused me seek out the real deal.

That's how I got interested in Araucanas. I still have Easter Eggers in my free range flock. The two I have right now are a pretty gold-red color with penciling on the feathers. One is broody right now at about a year old and I just put some eggs under her - 3 from my purebred Araucana. Like the others have said - love your boys colors!

I love this thread because everybody is so willing to share their knowledge.

On another note. I got a new app for my iPad called emoji. Here are some of the emoticons in it:

I
1f496.png
your boy. His
1f308.png
is
1f44d.png
and he will
1f48f.png
the
1f413.png
and bring pretty
1f423.png

Vckie et al
Kelso, WA

and one more (better camera) photo of all three: [COLOR=005CB1] [/COLOR]
FABULOUS photo!
1f64c.png
The camera makes all the difference. A couple of years ago I got some major overtime and bought a Nikon DSL (? not sure if this is right). Best thing I ever did. I get great photos with the most beautiful lighting. Vickie et al Kelso, WA

I haven't posted much lately but I recently got a pair of birds from smoothmule that I will be using to work on BBR araucanas and some other projects. The rooster might end up going with some hens to work on black araucanas too. In addition to those, we still have the bantam white pair we got at a show and the hen is a broody machine. Then they got some young birds at a show auction, all are tufted/rumpless. There is a blue, a black, and a cuckoo. The black has a single comb but I think it's a pullet. They are all supposed to be bantams but only the cuckoo looks smaller. Either way, we already enjoy them. I will try to get some pics soon. The pair I got from Cathy are great, the hen lays daily and the cockerel has a huge frame that is filling in nicely.

That is great that you are going to work on BBRs. I am starting on those too. I have my BBR rooster (tufted, partial tail) and a red pyle hen (my avatar, clean faced and rumpless)) from Ann in Florida. Then I just bought a BBR trio from Lanae the second trio listed here: http://www.cashsblueeggs.com/forsale.htm . I won't get them until the end of June as we need to finish the pens for them. I also have four pullets that I got from Chicken Scratch - a dark blue, a light blue, and two duckwings. They are all rumpless. Not sure about tufted. Lanae is sending me a rooster for them as well. My BBR rooster from Florida is tufted but the girls pick his tufts out so he has none at all. Just the "stubs".

Looking forward to the pics!

Vickie et al
Kelso, WA

That is great that you are going to work on BBRs. I am starting on those too. I have my BBR rooster (tufted, partial tail) and a red pyle hen (my avatar, clean faced and rumpless)) from Ann in Florida. Then I just bought a BBR trio from Lanae the second trio listed here: http://www.cashsblueeggs.com/forsale.htm . I won't get them until the end of June as we need to finish the pens for them. I also have four pullets that I got from Chicken Scratch - a dark blue, a light blue, and two duckwings. They are all rumpless. Not sure about tufted. Lanae is sending me a rooster for them as well. My BBR rooster from Florida is tufted but the girls pick his tufts out so he has none at all. Just the "stubs".

Looking forward to the pics!

Vickie et al
Kelso, WA

Lanae is who i got my chicks from as well -- she's wonderful! (I live close enough that i was able to drive up and see all her birds, gorgeous things!) the smallest of my three chicks may turn out to be BBR, its feathers are coming in darker than the other two (which look more duckwing-ish) -- and my best guess so far is that it plus the largest one are both boys. will see as they keep getting bigger!

Lanae is who i got my chicks from as well -- she's wonderful! (I live close enough that i was able to drive up and see all her birds, gorgeous things!) the smallest of my three chicks may turn out to be BBR, its feathers are coming in darker than the other two (which look more duckwing-ish) -- and my best guess so far is that it plus the largest one are both boys. will see as they keep getting bigger!
Do you remember the color of the smallest chick's down? That is more help in determining whether it's BBR, or wild type or split

Do you remember the color of the smallest chick's down? That is more help in determining whether it's BBR, or wild type or split

they all looked more or less the same as downy chicks -- yellow with chipmunk stripes:

the one who's feathers are darker is the topmost one -- had a much better defined chipmunk stripe than the other two, and a golden-y cast to the down (unlike the one on the bottom, who's got more greyish-silvery in the yellow) -- I started off calling them Gold, Silver, and Bronze -- Bronze being the one that has the darker feathers growing in.

Bronze and Gold are also looking like they'll be boys -- sparring with each other as well as a male cream legbar that's in another broody's hatch. the Silver chick ignores all this.

(and to be clear, i know absolutely NOTHING about araucana colors or genetics yet -- these are my first chicks, and i'm just going by the photos on Lanae's website to guess at colors!)

Last edited:
oh and found one more picture of them, at only six days old -- Gold is in the back, Bronze on the left, Silver on the right (their mom was dust-bathing, hence the blur):

That's how I got interested in Araucanas. I still have Easter Eggers in my free range flock. The two I have right now are a pretty gold-red color with penciling on the feathers. One is broody right now at about a year old and I just put some eggs under her - 3 from my purebred Araucana. Like the others have said - love your boys colors!

I love this thread because everybody is so willing to share their knowledge.

On another note. I got a new app for my iPad called emoji. Here are some of the emoticons in it:

I
1f496.png
your boy. His
1f308.png
is
1f44d.png
and he will
1f48f.png
the
1f413.png
and bring pretty
1f423.png

Vckie et al
Kelso, WA

Thanks, "he's" a sweetie, but I can't keep him if he's gonna crow. I'm still hoping it's a confused girl. It doesnt act like a roo at all. I was reaaally looking forward to having another hen that layes green/blue eggs. If he does turn all rooster and is able to get with some of my hens, i will definitely try to hatch some eggs before I rehome him.

Lanae is who i got my chicks from as well -- she's wonderful!  (I live close enough that i was able to drive up and see all her birds, gorgeous things!)  the smallest of my three chicks may turn out to be BBR, its feathers are coming in darker than the other two (which look more duckwing-ish) -- and my best guess so far is that it plus the largest one are both boys.  will see as they keep getting bigger!

You are so lucky! She is building a great web site that is a wonderful, educational resource for this breed.

Back
Top Bottom