Araucana thread anyone?

Could any one help me with what color my araucana chicks might end up? They are the 2 smaller ones in the picks. Thanks

oh and found one more picture of them, at only six days old -- Gold is in the back, Bronze on the left, Silver on the right (their mom was dust-bathing, hence the blur):

Smallest one looks to be a pullet and is wheaten based. The darkest boy is a wild type bbr and the lighter one looks to be a wheaten wild type split and if a boy will look like a golden duckwing and if a pullet will look like a wheaten BBR hen.

Lanae

I
Black Breasted Red based on wild type and silver duckwing both pullets I think, the silver for sure though.

Lanae

I only got two because the lady I got them from had ones with short blunt wings and ones with long wings at 1wk old and I wanted to see if that had any meaning... ongoing experiment. Got different colors to tell then apart :) would be cool if they are both pullets

I
I only got two because the lady I got them from had ones with short blunt wings and ones with long wings at 1wk old and I wanted to see if that had any meaning... ongoing experiment. Got different colors to tell then apart
smile.png
would be cool if they are both pullets
Sometimes, it's not the long wings or short wings, it's really the length of back you're seeing. The shorter the back, the longer the wings will seem. A longer back and the wings appear shorter.

Smallest one looks to be a pullet and is wheaten based. The darkest boy is a wild type bbr and the lighter one looks to be a wheaten wild type split and if a boy will look like a golden duckwing and if a pullet will look like a wheaten BBR hen.

Lanae

thanks Lanae! they are all beautiful, & fly ALL the time to catch up with their mom etc. the darker boy definitely has a longer back/shorter wings than the other two.

if he & the gold one ARE both boys (and my guess so far is that they are), any suggestions as to reasons to keep one vs. the other, color-wise, with this particular girl?

Last edited:
I have more hatching eggs available if anyone is interested. I am getting some really nice Blacks and Duckwing chicks right now. I have the eggs posted in the forums or PM me.

I know this thread is a couple of years old - but since you have had Americaunas, do drooping tail feathers mean I have a male? I have 3 birds and they are about 8 weeks old. I noticed this evening that one of them looks like it is developing a comb - and its tail feathers droop down. The other two have no comb and upright tail feathers. I don't want to jump the gun - but if it is a male I can't keep it. I live in the suburbs and roosters are not permitted. :-( Also - if it is a male, when does it start crowing? Need to know how much time I have....

I know this thread is a couple of years old - but since you have had Americaunas, do drooping tail feathers mean I have a male? I have 3 birds and they are about 8 weeks old. I noticed this evening that one of them looks like it is developing a comb - and its tail feathers droop down. The other two have no comb and upright tail feathers. I don't want to jump the gun - but if it is a male I can't keep it. I live in the suburbs and roosters are not permitted. :-( Also - if it is a male, when does it start crowing? Need to know how much time I have.... 
I thnk you have the wrong thread?? This is a Araucana threand, not an Ameraucana thread, Araucanas arent supposed to have tails. You should try posting some pictures in the what breed/gender section.

I have been breeding my barred araucana back to black/blue each generation. This Spring was the first time to do some test breeding of barred to barred. Some of the resulting chicks have some pretty impressive barring. The barred to black chicks typically have little to no barring on the primary wing feathers. I assume this is due to the fast growth of the primaries. As you can see in the photo, these chicks have barring in the primaries as well. Very Cool!

Barred araucana cockerelchick

Barred araucana cockerel chick

Back
Top Bottom