Araucana thread anyone?

The bantam white hen finally had luck hatching something!

I've been hatching Araucana for a few months now and they keep piping on day 18. Some have piped before I could get them into the hatching tray. Is this common for Araucana? Today is day 19 and all have hatched except one who is still working on it.

I did a test with other breed's eggs and they hatch on day 21 so, the Araucana's always have to wait.

idunno.gif

just an update on my three chicks, now about 5.5 weeks old:

queenie, seems-to-be silver duckwing girl

gold duckwing boy, who is HUGE compared to the other two

and the seems-to-be BBR boy

I've been hatching Araucana for a few months now and they keep piping on day 18. Some have piped before I could get them into the hatching tray. Is this common for Araucana? Today is day 19 and all have hatched except one who is still working on it.

I did a test with other breed's eggs and they hatch on day 21 so, the Araucana's always have to wait.

idunno.gif
That's about right here too

hello, im suppose to be getting 3 Bantam Araucana pullets next wednesday, but im wary... im a newbie to chickens and i dont want anybody taking advantage of that. i know araucana are a rarer breed so i dont want to get fooled by someone you know? hope you dont mind if i post the information i have of them and maybe you can tell me if these are really Araucana or just a fake?

they are from Harken Back Farm in Stowe VT. the ad says "Our breeding stock are show quality from Sky Blue Egg (Arkansas) and Star Studio Ranch (Texas)."

the pullets she has left, that i am thinking about getting, are 2011 and 2012 chickens. they have tails. 2 are black and 1 is a black breasted red. i assume these are not show quality since they have tails and that is not to standard for US, but i dont plan on showing anyways. i would like araucana, but i dont want to drive 2 hours to pick them up just to find out they arent actually araucana you know? she is charging $25 each

i asked for pictures and she said she would get some tonight, so hopefully ill get them soon, and then i will post them. thanks in advanced if you can help me at all!

Jay

hello, im suppose to be getting 3 Bantam Araucana pullets next wednesday, but im wary... im a newbie to chickens and i dont want anybody taking advantage of that. i know araucana are a rarer breed so i dont want to get fooled by someone you know? hope you dont mind if i post the information i have of them and maybe you can tell me if these are really Araucana or just a fake?

they are from Harken Back Farm in Stowe VT. the ad says "Our breeding stock are show quality from Sky Blue Egg (Arkansas) and Star Studio Ranch (Texas)."

the pullets she has left, that i am thinking about getting, are 2011 and 2012 chickens. they have tails. 2 are black and 1 is a black breasted red. i assume these are not show quality since they have tails and that is not to standard for US, but i dont plan on showing anyways. i would like araucana, but i dont want to drive 2 hours to pick them up just to find out they arent actually araucana you know? she is charging $25 each

i asked for pictures and she said she would get some tonight, so hopefully ill get them soon, and then i will post them. thanks in advanced if you can help me at all!

Jay
If you are going to be breeding, you need at least one rumpless and one tufted bird. Ideally you want a rumpless and tufted bird, not to have the required traits split among different birds.

Jay
If you are wanting Araucana, then I would pass these up because while they may come from araucana, they do not posses the traits of the araucana other than possibly laying a blue egg. Think about what it was that drew you to the araucana. Was it the rumplessness, the tufts or the blue eggs. If you want all those things then pay a bit more and just get birds that look like araucana.

I am not saying these are not araucana, I am saying they will not look like araucana because they do not have the identifying traits, so what is the point in getting them. I hatch tails here out of one of my pens every once in a while, and I do have people that want them because they don't like the look of rumpless birds, but really that is one of the things that makes an araucana, an araucana.

Rumpless and tufted birds will probably run you $65 each or more which is what I charge for pullets that are rumpless and tufted, but non show quality otherwise. It is totally wonderful to sit on the lawn with a cup of coffee or tea in the mornings and have these goofy looking birds running around.

Lanae

Back
Top Bottom