Araucana thread anyone?

So, I have a few of these girls maturing out of skyblueegg chicks. I keep expecting them to turn into BBR, but as time goes on, I'm less and less hopeful for that? Anybody see bbr in there?

69745_possible_bbr.jpg

And I was so upset that I didn't bring this white rooster to the Great Falls Poultry expo, until the other day when I realized that it's a GIRL. Now I am SO GLAD that I didn't show up at that that great big show and try to enter my pullet as a rooster. That would have been a hard one to live down. The legs were a pale white color until just before the show and it seemed like over night they got their color.

69745_white_araucana_pullet.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
That's a Wheaten hen you have there! Very nice, I don't often see Wheaten Araucanas.
smile.png
She's got poor color for a wheaten, but still. . . she's a Wheatie. No BBR there.

Uhh, what? Are you saying the white one is a boy? Because if so, I'd consider him a cull.
tongue.png
His head is SO much like a pullet, and his body and legs too. . . He'd make a nice hen, but not a cockerel. This kind of body is why I got rid of this guy:

5091045555_8f9b6efeed_z.jpg

Gorgeous as he was, he convinced me he was a pullet for MONTHS, then Bam! Cockerel. Cull. He's just so skinny and feminine.

Quote:
Thanks Cackle. No they havent started laying yet. The only one in that bunch that has is the blue andalusian. Im hoping they start laying pretty soon. They hatched out of both blue and green eggs. Im hoping they are blue and not green. The two with tails and the one with a partial tail I plan on getting rid of. The colors that I really wanted to hatch, never did. I wanted blues, blacks and whites. Not all these other colors. Although the silver one is pretty. I dont like the other ones.
hmm.png

Quote:
Funny, that's exactly what I got into Araucanas to breed, the BBS variety. I also have had bad luck gathering anything other than NOT Blue, Black or Splash. I wish you were closer, because i have a very nice white pair, but I'm just not interested in breeding the whites..... not really my thing. If I remember, you hatched out some eggs from "gypsy" something or other on e-bay; aren't those supposed to be blues? Is this what you got from those eggs? I really would trade you birds if you were closer!

Illia, I had just realized that this is a pullet, after thinking it a roo for quite a while now. I would have sworn on something that I hold very dear that I heard it crow a while back, but got to thinking that it's been a loooooong time since I heard anything out of it and it sure looked henish....
I am so embarrassed about the wheaten hen! I should have know that that is what those girls are, but I guess I was trying for so long to see bbr, that the obvious just never had a chance. I even cropped out a beautiful wheaten Ameraucana hen from the photo..... duh.... In my defense, I have been sicker than I can ever remember being in my life for about four days now, and I think that my brain is roasted. Anyhow..... thanks for clearing that up for me. Now that I know what I've got, I can stop trying to make those poor birds conform to some other color variety and just enjoy them as is!

Quote:
Never feel guilty for that. After all, have you ever noticed (or do you have any other Wheaten chickens?) that Wheaten Ameraucana hens are SO different from any other "wheaten" colored breed of chicken?

Quote:
Funny, that's exactly what I got into Araucanas to breed, the BBS variety. I also have had bad luck gathering anything other than NOT Blue, Black or Splash. I wish you were closer, because i have a very nice white pair, but I'm just not interested in breeding the whites..... not really my thing. If I remember, you hatched out some eggs from "gypsy" something or other on e-bay; aren't those supposed to be blues? Is this what you got from those eggs? I really would trade you birds if you were closer!

I would love to trade you. The only one I really like is the silver duckwing. But like I said, I would much rather have blue, black & white(& in that order). I had one splash but he was killed by a dog from up the road. No I got eggs from Jody on here. Great eggs, just havent had the best luck with hatching araucana eggs. I bought eggs from one other person off here but none of those hatched. And there were quite a few other people who had the same results.
hmm.png
I think the next time I will buy chicks. Ive spent way too much money on araucana eggs. I have some very $$$ araucana birds.

I had a heck of a time hatching araucana eggs also, like everyone else. I finally gave up and got started chicks and adult tufted roos. I think I spent less money on those than I did on hatching eggs that never hatched.

I will have a tufted splash roo up for sale on my website next month. He will be 3 months old then. He is fully rumpless and 1 nice tuft. I also have a tufted cuckoo chick for sale and a clean faced splash pullet. All will be 3 months old next month.

Its worming time of year on the farm so no one leaves untill its done. Yuk!!!

I gave a two month old roo chick a bath cause he is a pig pen, he fell asleep while he was getting blow dried. It was so cute. Cracks me up. They all struggle till their belly hits the warm water, then its like " oh yeah!". I call it spa time. I have had chicks that don't want anything to do with me start following me around after they have had spa time. They even get grapes during spa time. You know spa food. LOL!

Lanae

from 2 different people in Fl I got 50% hatches. But ended up with no tufts. Disappointed in what I got of Sky Blue Egg Bantam chicks. no tufts 1 Standard with feather legs and now one of the girls is laying a very dark beige egg. They are just starting to lay and haven't figured out which one is doing it yet. All my others have been laying for 6 months and have been broody twice and the new ones I just hatched are only 3 weeks old so it is not them and my Tiny Sebrights which are the only other breed in with my Araucana lay a tiny white egg smaller than the first eggs of Araucana

Last edited:
We are just returned from the Stevenson show where Steve Waters' multiple BIS winning large fowl white cock won again- this time Champion AOSB. A cochin (it was the cochin national) and Jersey Giant were Ch and Res. Ch. large fowl this year and a white cochin bantam owned by Joe Mazur won the whole show. Steve had 3 nice white large fowl araucanas there and 3 good black bantam pullets, but one of his bantams sabotaged the other by reaching through the bars of the cage to pluck the tufts on her competition! The saboteur was successful and went BB, leaving the picked pullet to be RB. Rob had 3 black bantams bred by Steve in the youth show but they were defeated for the AOCCL class by his frizzle Polish, who went on to be Reserve of Show. I was able to find homes for several of my extra white bantam pullets with people who just want pretty blue egg layers. There were a bunch of computer glitches and the show was a bit rocky, but it's hard to mess up a chicken show- no matter what, it's always a lot of fun!

Back
Top Bottom