Araucana thread anyone?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by megcpat, Jan 23, 2010.

1. ForrestGump

ForrestGump Chirping

Feb 19, 2016
    Napavine, WA

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  2. cashdl

cashdl Songster

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I would recommend figuring out which color of araucana you like best and then getting birds in that color. Try not to get a mix of various colors. If you get them all in the same color family ( Golden Duckwing, Silver Duckwing, black, white, blue, splash etc) you will have an easier time selling them to those who are looking to add to their flock. So many people mix their colors and then just end up with a bunch of color messes which is only good for back yard layers.

There are several facebook Araucana pages

https://www.facebook.com/groups/105544352820794/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/araucanaSOPbreeders/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/531157033717595/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/796452563834248/

I recommend joining the Araucana Club of America which will provide you with lots of valuable information, plus the ability to contact other members around the US.

www.araucana.net

Lanae Cash
    ACA President

3. Tina Warne

Tina Warne Hatching

Apr 26, 2016
    [​IMG]I thought I had Aracauna chicks. But now they are roughly 2 months old they all have short tails. Does that mean I actually have Ameracauna? My Silver has a shorter tail with a bit of a rounded rump and fluffy cheeks. And I shred a pic of my odd ball named Eagle who is just kinda weird looking and is the same bread as my Silver.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  4. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Those are muffs, which Araucana never have. You have typical hatchery Easter Eggers.

5. Artemis Moon

Artemis Moon In the Brooder

Mar 24, 2016
    Maryland
    [​IMG]

This is my Araucana chick Edna, but I'm having some doubts that she may be an EE (which I'm ok with if that's the case) :)
    She's almost 4 weeks old

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If you got her from a feed store, there is no chance it's a real Araucana.

7. Artemis Moon

Artemis Moon In the Brooder

Mar 24, 2016
    Maryland
    I did get her from a feed store so i wont really know until she lays right?

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You can be sure that she's not Araucana. They can only be obtained from breeders. You have an Easter Egger, and you won't know what color she will lay until she actually does start laying.

9. luckysaysgo

luckysaysgo Chirping

Mar 1, 2014
    Ed donated a bunch of hatching eggs for a classroom project a few years back. I was new to chickens and didn't know what to expect. We had an unexpectedly good hatch rate and I ended up helping several families set up their own flocks. I kept few birds also and now have a small army of buttless double tufted beauties. They lay very well..both green and blue eggs. It's worth trying to get some of his birds if you can :)

10. ForrestGump

ForrestGump Chirping

Feb 19, 2016
    Napavine, WA
    [​IMG]

I have this cute little Araucana chick that is 8 days old now. Unfortunately it can't eat on its own. For some reason he/she hasn't figured out how to get the food from the tip of its beak to the back of the mouth so it can be swallowed. Is this a common problem in Araucanas? All my other chicks are getting big and doing well. This one poops OK and goes nuts at the feeder trying to eat. He/she even picks up food and runs around with it but always drops it before it can get it down the hatch.

Any ideas on how to help the little bugger out?

And what is up with the beard? It is adorable, but are they supposed to have beards?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: