Araucana thread anyone?

Cool, thank you! They should look a lot different now, this pic is older.

I need a white or two, but I need dominant white.....how do you tell the difference between dominant and recessive?

A blue duckwing would be nice yard art, but I feel like I'd need a black or splash to breed....hmmm. Tomorrow I'll contact the seller and ask what varieties he has, maybe he can tell me if his whites are dominant or recessive.

I'm so sorry about your coop collapse. That's horrible.

The cockerels I bought from Idaho are in Seattle right now... I'll be picking them up at the local p.o. at 5am....

I need a white or two, but I need dominant white.....how do you tell the difference between dominant and recessive?

A blue duckwing would be nice yard art, but I feel like I'd need a black or splash to breed....hmmm. Tomorrow I'll contact the seller and ask what varieties he has, maybe he can tell me if his whites are dominant or recessive.

The cockerels I bought from Idaho are in Seattle right now... I'll be picking them up at the local p.o. at 5am....
The only way to know if you are dealing with dominant white or recessive is to breed to non-white. If recessive white, none of the chicks should be white. If dominant white, at least half will be white.

Can you get up to date pics? Be easier to see what the possible colors might be from feathered out birds instead of chick down...

Odds should favor dominant white rather than recessive... the white Araucanas I've come across have all been dominant, not recessive...

I'll ask him if he can send more, I spoke to him earlier today..... I mailed him a check (no paypal!) and I think he's going to be shipping them soon, possibly next week - I hope before Thanksgiving weekend
barnie.gif

The boys got here early this morning. They're healthy looking roos, I dusted them before I put them in the quarantine tractor.

The only way to know if you are dealing with dominant white or recessive is to breed to non-white. If recessive white, none of the chicks should be white. If dominant white, at least half will be white.

That's what I was afraid of!

Odds should favor dominant white rather than recessive... the white Araucanas I've come across have all been dominant, not recessive...

That's interesting, I don know why, but I'd guess it would be the other way around..... I think some breeds (maybe silkies?) are mostly recessive... Well, maybe I'll luck out!

That's what I was afraid of!

That's interesting, I don know why, but I'd guess it would be the other way around..... I think some breeds (maybe silkies?) are mostly recessive... Well, maybe I'll luck out!

Most white Silkies are recessive... I have Ameraucanas that are recessive... Leghorns are dominant... these are in general and there are always exceptions to every 'rule'... the only way to know anything for sure is to breed and see... :)

ETA: I have a pair of birds both with matching dominant traits... every single one of their offspring has hatched without that trait... gotta love those exceptions, lol...

Last edited:
Most white Silkies are recessive... I have Ameraucanas that are recessive... Leghorns are dominant... these are in general and there are always exceptions to every 'rule'... the only way to know anything for sure is to breed and see...
smile.png

ETA: I have a pair of birds both with matching dominant traits... every single one of their offspring has hatched without that trait... gotta love those exceptions, lol...

It's enough to make you wanna pull your hair out!
barnie.gif

I want to get a genetics book, but I can see me reading and rereading and then my eyes just glaze over
lol.png
..... maybe I can come up with a way to draw it out on a chart or something....

Wanting to get back into raising Araucana's. I am wondering if anyone on here has some hatching eggs they would like to sell?
Please contract me if you do.

I tried hatching eggs multiple times, but I got squat! So, I just bought some live chicks, waiting for them to ship
thumbsup.gif

My advice; don't waste your resources on eggs, it's cheaper and more successful to get live birds.

ETA: look on the ACA website for a breeder named George Lombardi. He's in Colorado, Denver area. I found him on CL advertising his chicks. I called him up and bought a handful of chicks from him (very reasonable). I also signed up for Ann Charles' email and bought a handful from her too....

Last edited:
I tried hatching eggs multiple times, but I got squat! So, I just bought some live chicks, waiting for them to ship :thumbsup

My advice; don't waste your resources on eggs, it's cheaper and more successful to get live birds.

ETA: look on the ACA website for a breeder named George Lombardi. He's in Colorado, Denver area. I found him on CL advertising his chicks. I called him up and bought a handful of chicks from him (very reasonable). I also signed up for Ann Charles' email and bought a handful from her too....

I'm hoping to get some this week I totally agree it's so challenging to hatch them esp shipped if you can get chicks that's the way to go w/ this breed.

Back
Top Bottom