Araucana thread anyone?

The barred is on extended black. Extended black is dominate over duckwing so when making the cross it produces the black chicks.
You need to do a second cross to get back to the duckwing pattern.
Those crele threads are useless because the op doesn't understand what crele is and isn't using the correct patterns to produce them.
Cross your barred bird with your duckwing bird. You then need to cross your barred offspring back to duckwing to produce about 50% duckwing patterned birds or cross the offspring together to produce about 25% duckwing patterned offspring.
All you're doing is bringing in the barred gene to the duckwing then breeding again to get back to pure duckwing while maintaining the barring.
If you need more info in general or info on how the barring is maintained or works let me know.
You'll also need to get the males to carrying two copies of barring for the crele pattern to breed true.

The barred is on extended black. Extended black is dominate over duckwing so when making the cross it produces the black chicks.
You need to do a second cross to get back to the duckwing pattern.
Those crele threads are useless because the op doesn't understand what crele is and isn't using the correct patterns to produce them.
Cross your barred bird with your duckwing bird. You then need to cross your barred offspring back to duckwing to produce about 50% duckwing patterned birds or cross the offspring together to produce about 25% duckwing patterned offspring.
All you're doing is bringing in the barred gene to the duckwing then breeding again to get back to pure duckwing while maintaining the barring.
If you need more info in general or info on how the barring is maintained or works let me know.
You'll also need to get the males to carrying two copies of barring for the crele pattern to breed true.
Thank you! So this isn't a one or two generation product, its going to take several generations to get crele? And if I am understanding you right, I need the duckwing to be female, since my first cross (golden duckwing cock over a barred hen) is only giving me barred males. Of course I wouldn't be able to breed them to my duckwing cock...

There's different ways to go about it and as the breeder you have to use what you have and decide which route to take.
Of course using a barred male is a route to go since all offspring will be barred as opposed to a barred female only producing barred male offspring.
Another thing that most don't consider is the silver/gold aspect. Most or many barred birds are silver based so when you use a silver based male all female offspring may be barred but they'll also be silver based instead of gold based.
That really doesn't matter since with the next generation you can use a gold based male over the silver based females and be back to producing gold based females.
Its just something to be aware of when breeding.
Same goes for non barred females. You can continue with them because in the next cross a non barred female will produce barred female offspring when bred to a barred male.
Now you see how it can get into different ways to get from point A to point B.
You can get there in the second generation if you produce enough chicks but it is easy to get there in the third. For most the hardest part is getting the second barred gene one the correct patterned males.
In a few when I got more time I'll give you an example of how I did it in the past.

If I read your post right you would be working with a gold duckwing rooster?
Breed him to a barred female.
I concentrate more on the male side because the female side is easier so I kinda just take the pullets along for the ride at first.
That first cross will produce single barred silver/gold extended black/duckwing cockerels and non barred gold extended black/duckwing pullets.
Bred those together and that will give you....
Cockerels that are
Black
Barred
Gold duckwing
Silver/gold duckwing
Single barred silver/gold duckwing
Single barred gold duckwing
You can continue with a single barred silver/gold duckwing but that's not as ideal as it will continue passing silver as well as gold.
What you want is a single barred gold duckwing cockerel.
Continue on with him and you'll be almost there.
That first cross of the offspring will give you pullets that are....
Black
Barred
Gold duckwing
Silver duckwing
Barred silver duckwing
Barred gold duckwing
Your barred gold duckwing will be your final product.
Bred those pullets with your single barred gold duckwing male and you'll produce about half single barred gold duckwing males and half double barred gold duckwing males. The double barred males will be your finished product.
When you have them or the step before with the single barred gold duckwing male you can breed either with barred or non barred gold or silver duckwing pullets and produce usable pullet chicks.
When using a gold male he will produce only gold females even when bred to a silver female so that's why you can use the silver duckwing pullets.
Also a single or double barred male will pass barring on to female offspring with a non barred hen so that's why the non barred females can be used.
Of course a single barred male will only produce half females being barred while a double barred male will produce all barred female offspring.
Hope this is helpful and easy enough to follow.
And since we're talking crele it is my belief crele should be on BBR which are gold duckwing with mahogany so what this conversation is about is what is called gold crele.

If I read your post right you would be working with a gold duckwing rooster?
Breed him to a barred female.
I concentrate more on the male side because the female side is easier so I kinda just take the pullets along for the ride at first.
That first cross will produce single barred silver/gold extended black/duckwing cockerels and non barred gold extended black/duckwing pullets.
Bred those together and that will give you....
Cockerels that are
Black
Barred
Gold duckwing
Silver/gold duckwing
Single barred silver/gold duckwing
Single barred gold duckwing
You can continue with a single barred silver/gold duckwing but that's not as ideal as it will continue passing silver as well as gold.
What you want is a single barred gold duckwing cockerel.
Continue on with him and you'll be almost there.
That first cross of the offspring will give you pullets that are....
Black
Barred
Gold duckwing
Silver duckwing
Barred silver duckwing
Barred gold duckwing
Your barred gold duckwing will be your final product.
Bred those pullets with your single barred gold duckwing male and you'll produce about half single barred gold duckwing males and half double barred gold duckwing males. The double barred males will be your finished product.
When you have them or the step before with the single barred gold duckwing male you can breed either with barred or non barred gold or silver duckwing pullets and produce usable pullet chicks.
When using a gold male he will produce only gold females even when bred to a silver female so that's why you can use the silver duckwing pullets.
Also a single or double barred male will pass barring on to female offspring with a non barred hen so that's why the non barred females can be used.
Of course a single barred male will only produce half females being barred while a double barred male will produce all barred female offspring.
Hope this is helpful and easy enough to follow.
And since we're talking crele it is my belief crele should be on BBR which are gold duckwing with mahogany so what this conversation is about is what is called gold crele.
Got it! Thank you so much!

Its going to be an interesting project! Especially if you're wanting to keep the araucana type, with rumples and/or tufted. I can't wait to watch this play out! :-D
Well Ann Charles has/had Cuckoo Araucanas
2EE0FE1B-9264-41CD-99AA-310C60CB39D1.jpeg

Thank you! So this isn't a one or two generation product, its going to take several generations to get crele? And if I am understanding you right, I need the duckwing to be female, since my first cross (golden duckwing cock over a barred hen) is only giving me barred males. Of course I wouldn't be able to breed them to my duckwing cock...
Correct as the F1s will be black barred, and the BC1(Back cross to parent line 1) will only be heterozygous barred(for males), at the very least you need four generations to get pure "Crele", The third one will be dark crele(heterozygous males)

@Brahma Chicken5000 you have a pretty good grasp on genetics; maybe you could answer a question for me. There has been a few "Making Crele" threads lately (I'm sure you know the ones I'm talking about). I saw where a couple members posted crele is the result of barring on duckwing. That got me thinking, Cholo is duckwing...and I've always wanted some barred araucanas...so maybe I could make my own crele down the road. But I've been playing with the genetics calculator and when I enter those two examples it gives me 50% black and 50% barred offspring. I tried flip flopping the male to barred and the female to duckwing...no difference. Happen to know what I'm doing wrong?

do you use http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html? if you just pick colours from the list the results might be wrong. you need to know genetics of your birds which is too complicated (at least to me).

Back
Top Bottom