Araucana thread anyone?

The young clean faced/rumpless black cockerel that I loaned out came back a happy boy with a lot more confidence and to a pen full of broody hens that I have in a wire pen curing them of their broodiness. He took it all in stride. He will get to join the main black pen soon and have free range time during the day. He's still just a youngster, gonna be a big boy when he's all grown up.

Got chicks hatching today. 11 out, 7 more pipped. Most are from my blacks and a few from my chocolate hens to black roosters. They're being banded as they hatch, the black chicks from the chocolate hens are all rumpless and some tufted as well so I have to keep them marked. Later, the chocolate crosses have white skin this generation but some of the Araucana chicks will have pale skin at times too.

One chick hatched this color....showing that with the first generation of black to black breeding, there can still be surprises. They lessen with each generation. This chick is likely from my single silver and black hen who is split for wheaten. Can't wait to see it feather out.

I started to read this thread from the start. Got to page 55 and skipped to the start of 2013. I just put some Lavender Araucana eggs in the bator yesterday. I am pretty eggcited
wee.gif
that I found some 1.5 hrs drive away. I was concerned that my niece couldn't show them but I think they can be shown as AOV at 4h or county fairs. That wont be until next year anyway IF I get ANY tufted/rumpless out of the hatch. I was concerned when I got them as the eggs were not the Blue color I was expecting. They are the in the cartons and the bottom 4 rows of eggs going right to left. BCM on top and 2 EE eggs after them.

I cant thank you guys enough with the experience for sharing your knowledge about this breed.

I started to read this thread from the start. Got to page 55 and skipped to the start of 2013. I just put some Lavender Araucana eggs in the bator yesterday. I am pretty eggcited
wee.gif
that I found some 1.5 hrs drive away. I was concerned that my niece couldn't show them but I think they can be shown as AOV at 4h or county fairs. That wont be until next year anyway IF I get ANY tufted/rumpless out of the hatch. I was concerned when I got them as the eggs were not the Blue color I was expecting. They are the in the cartons and the bottom 4 rows of eggs going right to left. BCM on top and 2 EE eggs after them.

I cant thank you guys enough with the experience for sharing your knowledge about this breed.
Are you sure they are Araucana? They should be blue eggs, sometimes a greenish tint but they should not be tinted tan/cream like the ones in the egg carton. Good chance they are easter eggers (a mixed breed)
Did you get to see the hens/roosters they are from?

On there website. I thought the exact same thing. I didnt have time for the quarter tour. And I have spoken to another breeder whom they apperently got there stock from. So I am thinking they just need some work, will let you know in 20 days, boy would that be a disapointment.....I am told that they used a Lavender EE to get the color though.

On there website. I thought the exact same thing. I didnt have time for the quarter tour. And I have spoken to another breeder whom they apperently got there stock from. So I am thinking they just need some work, will let you know in 20 days, boy would that be a disapointment.....I am told that they used a Lavender EE to get the color though.
I wonder what they crossed the EE to for the lavender? There are already lavender Araucana's and lavender Ameraucana's and they all lay blue eggs.
I'll keep my fingers crossed that they turn out with Araucana type (some tufts and rumpless) and the pea comb and blue egg gene. You might be starting from scratch but if they have tufts and are rumpless, PM me and I'll try to help you out. I have black Araucana's and black to lavender will work with the lavender and more Araucana type.

If you don't mind to share here or in a PM, their website?

Last edited:
Who all is here that has bantam Araucana's? I'm working on a line of my own using some small, near bantam size individuals. I estimate a couple or years to get them down to size but I have a nice start.

Back
Top Bottom