Araucana thread anyone?

Hi Vickie,

They would not work with Wheaten. They are wild type yes.

Lanae

wee.gif
Yahoo! I am actually learning!
wee.gif

Well, the only araucana chick we hatched this year died today :( He looked fine last night when I closed up birds but this morning he was dead. Looks like next year I will be doing some different breedings to hopefully get some araucana chicks. So far we have the black/BBR LF pair, a pair of bantam whites, and out of the 3 bantam chicks from the last show we have a cuckoo cockerel, a black pullet (with a single comb) and a fair looking blue pullet with small tufts. I'm sure I can work something out using what I have here

First chick hatched from my chocolate project pen at a day old. Totally rumpless/clean faced, pea comb. I have the white skin to correct, add tufts and not sure what else, will know more when it's mature and I can see the type. Nice big chick. Hoping this one is a cockerel. Mothers are chocolate, cockerels all carry chocolate, no read leakage in any of the parents. The Araucana traits seem to be very dominant, this chocolate chick is only one quarter Araucana. I have one other chocolate that is an F1 cross hen that is chocolate with double tufts and rumpless. She's a little on the small side but her sire was a large bantam bred chocolate carrier and her sire a large fowl Araucana roo.

A chocolate cockerel will mean a lot for the project and move it along quickly to perfect it but at least 5 more generations before I feel they are perfected even if I get great looking individuals. I want them to breed true to type as well as color.

Development of a new variety is very time consuming and expensive.

I got 4 pullets from them this spring.  You can see pictures of them in post #7362. They were sent to me at the end of April as 8 week olds.  I asked for bbr/red pullets - they sent blues and dark colors.  They were supposed to be tufted - all were clean faced.  They all have properly colored legs and their conformation is good.  It would be nice if they did not advertise they are selling only double tufted birds when they send clean faced. They have not laid eggs yet so I do not know what color of eggs they lay.  I thought their prices were pretty low for started Araucana pullets at $25.00 each (+ shipping of $85.00 for all 4 birds)  . At that price, it is pretty hard to expect tufted birds.

I only wanted blues and blacks, so thats why I asked them if they keep the colors separated. They would be good for anyone just wanting the breed for eggs. I felt that I would be buying a araucana easter egger rather then the typical ameraucana easter egger. I understand what you mean about the advertising, they only say some will be tufted, and they don't clearly state the colors will all be mixed. Post more pictures as they get older I would be curious how they turn out. I ordered hatching eggs from someone else. I have blacks and my rooster has a small amount of leakage, 1 hen has 1 tiny tuft, and the rest are clean faced. It's a start, I do poultry shows with my silkies so I eventually want to take Araucanas. I have b.b.s eggs in the inky now thanks to Stacy. I can't wait for some more.

Back
Top Bottom