Araucana thread anyone?

Morning all, will any of you be attending the poultry congress in Springfield Ma this January ?if so will you be bring any girls to sell? I hatched 3 from Debi , 2 Roos and a girl and I can't keep them. I've been trying to get rid of them (all 3 so they can stay together) so I would like to get 2girls. Thanks see you at the show

Hey folks,

I have taken a looooong break from BYC (having moved 5 times in the past year was hard on the girls but especially for me!), but I'm back! I got married and settled into a place I can finally relax into. It's about time!!

I would like to start looking into replacing my hatchery australorps with araucanas. I'd ideally like 4 LF or 6 bantam pullets; I cannot have roosters in my HOA, so I'm going to need to buy chicks that are identifiably female. I am probably looking at obtaining them in the early spring and would like to get an idea of where y'all are located. I'm in the Savannah, GA area now. I'd like to work with someone in the southeast or at least the east coast so I could come pick them up rather than shipping.

I'm not looking for tufts, as chickens are still a hobby for me; I just have not met any birds with as charming a personality as my bantam araucana. I would love her sisters if I could find the person Pokey sold her flock to a couple years ago, but that's unfortunately probably too far in the past to track down... though if you do happen to be or know of this person, I am very interested in talking to him/her.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to being back and seeing all the beautiful pictures you guys have to share :)
Meg

At some point in the next year or two I'm thinking of adding a couple Araucanas to my flock. Couple questions though: is the rumplessness a dominant trait i.e. if an Araucana breeds with a plain chicken, will the chicks have tails or not? And it is safe for a rumpless chicken to live with non-rumpless chickens, right? Not more dangerous than bantams with standards?

And most importantly, where would I get Araucanas or Araucana eggs in Central/Western Mass? I'm *not* looking to show, by the way.

At some point in the next year or two I'm thinking of adding a couple Araucanas to my flock. Couple questions though: is the rumplessness a dominant trait i.e. if an Araucana breeds with a plain chicken, will the chicks have tails or not? And it is safe for a rumpless chicken to live with non-rumpless chickens, right? Not more dangerous than bantams with standards?

Yes, it is a dominant trait. If a bird heterozygous for rumpless is bred for a tailed bird, then 50% of chicks will be heterozygous rumpless. If a homozygous rumpless bird is bred to a tailed bird, 100% of chicks will be heterozygous rumpless.

A rumpless chicken is no different than a tailed one in a flock :)

Is there anyone here that lives new New Bloomfield, Mo that can go look at some chickens on Craigslist for me?

Laura,
Those are Steve's Araucana's listed. Some, probably most of them, came from me before I sold all my whites. They should be very nice, some will have green legs rather than yellow but I'm sure he's kept his best hatched this year to breed in the spring.
He's in the Jeff City area, about an hour and a half from me. His wife told me they have been getting a lot of out of state calls so they ordered shipping boxes,

Cathy

At some point in the next year or two I'm thinking of adding a couple Araucanas to my flock. Couple questions though: is the rumplessness a dominant trait i.e. if an Araucana breeds with a plain chicken, will the chicks have tails or not? And it is safe for a rumpless chicken to live with non-rumpless chickens, right? Not more dangerous than bantams with standards?

And most importantly, where would I get Araucanas or Araucana eggs in Central/Western Mass? I'm *not* looking to show, by the way.

Ann Horsman lives in Vt and is moving to the Midwest. She doesn't know which birds she is taking...and I think she has a lot. So she might be a good source.

The blue has a tiny bit of red leakage in his neck, none on his wings. The splash is lad doesn't have any leakage.
Stacy, I had a too almost identical to the splash, that I bought locally. He had the biggest , most perfectly mirrored tufts I ever saw. Unfortunately I lost him to something. I picked him up one day when hr was just lay g there. He was skinny and weak. It was a couple days later that he disappeared. Months later I found his car as at the end of my indoor arena under something.

Last edited:
REFERRING To an earlier POST BY NDOLES THAT I FORGOT TO QUOTE: On the hatching eggs ndoles, what kind of duckwing araucanas do you have? Do you keep all of these separate, or would the eggs be a mix of all the different varieties? LF?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom