Araucana thread anyone?

I figure everyone likes to look at chicks. Enjoy. :)
You figured right, sweet :)
I love the little rumpless chickies
thumbsup.gif

Anyone want to take a guess at the gender of this 5 week old wheaten chick (which might also have silver)? Sorry the pictures aren't better-he/she did not want to set still. This might be the first time ever I am hoping for a roo.

My pullet (just short of 6 months old) laid her first egg yesterday! I officially have a true blue egg layer!
woot.gif

I've made it through the first 140 pages of this thread.....learning much and enjoying all the pictures that have been posted......of course, they are two - three years old at this point....
smile.png

One thing I have noticed, my pullet seems to have more fluff than most of the pullets/hens that others have posted. The Standard calls for "Fluff-medium". How would Hanna rate? Does she have too much fluff?

Last edited:
*Waving HELLO!" From Vanc., WA!

I'm excited to find out that recently there has been an increase in Araucana enthusiasts in WA state.

I do a lot of work with my cuckoo and blue-cuckoo Araucana projects and have "multicolor," "Frizzle-cauna," and a (please don't stone me!) "Tufted Naked Neck" pens for my own amusement.

I've been hooked on cuckoo for 2 years now, and am adding BBR and black pens to my current cuckoo and "multicolored" pens this winter.

Here are two examples from my "Multicolored" project... sorry, I couldn't get the cockerel to stand still! At least the little spangled girl posed! I sure wish her wings were set higher and tighter! LOL

These are two frizzled, fully rumpless, LF sized cockerels from the "Frizzle-Cauna" project. The black has a little red lacing in his saddle feathers and light leg feathering (from the original frizzle cochin cross) and the light colored boy-chick is clean legged (HOORAY!) and feathering out to be a blue cuckoo "Frizzle-cauna." The black will need more crossing with Araucana to get rid of those wattles!

This was "Bubba." He was my best dbl-tufted cuckoo so far, but Marek's Disease stole him away from me last December... along with 85% of my Araucana stock. It has been VERY difficult to rebuild after that devastation.

This is "Dice," my most recent mature cuckoo sire. He only has a slight red bleed-through in his "curtain." I need to cross him back to some quality black hens to correct his leg color, raise the wing set, and work on the red bleed-through, but we're getting there!

I have an 8 week dbl-tufted cuckoo cockerel (pictured), with equal, huge tufts, and a clean-faced blue cuckoo cockerel from this past summer whom I'm eager to see their progeny next spring!

My *very* best!
Jenn Nashoba
(I'm rarely on BYC, but am very active on FB's "Araucana Chickens" page)

Last edited:
Aloha Choctawgal,

You're birds are beautiful, especially the last young one. Please show us a picture in a few months. :)

Aloha, Puhi

Aloha Puhi!

"Mahalo plenty" for the smile! Its been many years since I worked at Queens Med Ctr. and Kapiolani Children's!
wink.png
You helped trigger many good memories!

I certainly will share more photos as Atoka matures. (Choctaw for Warrior) He is one of four babies I still have in the house, my being overprotective. LOL

My best... and SHAKA!

Jenn

Back
Top Bottom