Araucana thread anyone?

Actually they are different then Ameraucanas. They have a slight crest and different size/confirmation. They are technically Araucanas but they are not recognized by the Araucana club. You see them mostly in bantam varieties but I'm looking for large fowl. Thank you for the info! :)
I know that UK Araucana and Ameraucana are not the same thing. I said the equivalent (closest thing available in the U.S.) is the Ameraucana. The only thing the U.S. birds are missing is the crest.
U.S. Araucana are completely different from the U.K. Tailed Araucana and Ameraucana. U.S. Araucana are rumpless, have tufts, are never beared, and have yellow legs/skin.

I live in NZ and we have the british tailed araucanas here, however i feed all my breeders on grower pellets, as opposed to layer feed. When on layer feed i was lucky to get a 50% hatch rate, with lots that quit a few days in, and then a heap that made it to lockdown, but died before internally pipping. That was even with having my pens moveable so they got fresh green grass every day, treated for nasties ect.
I switched them to grower feeds, and my hatch rate went through the roof. My last hatch i only had 1/24 that didn't hatch, and it made it all the way to lockdown before quitting. Babies are growing well and full of life. Well, those that survived my upon hatch cull (had a few vaulted skulls pop up. I know the rooster that threw them,he is now history)

I will have to try this I hope it work my hatch rate is lower then 50%
1f630.png
.... I can barely get these booger to hatch...

I'm proud to admit I've read almost this entire thread! And enjoyed every minute.

My first exposure to Araucana was when I was about 10 - a family friend with a farm got her first chickens, 'Araucana'. Now I understand they were Easter Eggers. Some tailless, some with muffs etc, but the smartest and nicest chickens I ever met. Decent layers of blue and blue green eggs, and tasty. I've never wanted any other kind of chicken, doubly so now that I've done all my research. Now I finally have the space for chickens though I am waiting til next spring so I have all this year to build my set up and cultivate some nice forage for them.

Two questions for you all. Everyone around here keeps telling me I should start out with basic feed store chicks to get my feet wet before spending money on purebred chickens. I don't want to but I also don't want to lose all my expensive Araucanas due to inexperience or poor planning. I'm trying to eliminate the possibility of poor planning. Everything will be well predator proofed - and dog proofed - and I have a LGD breed dog who I'll be training to do night watch. Worth the risk?

Also, I'm most interested in the Araucana as a hardy dual purpose breed with good natural instinct. I will be perpetuating my own flock but I won't be showing. I want rumpless birds but tufts aren't such a concern and my main priorities will be selecting for healthy, meaty birds who are reliable layers, and blue over green or light eggs. Plumage is last on my list. However - for the betterment of the breed should I go the extra mile to put together a starting flock of compatible colors so what birds I sell are more useful to people who might want to breed to APA standards? I didn't think this was possible at first but now that I've seen the community here I think I could manage it though it may take longer and be more expensive.

Thanks all!

I'm proud to admit I've read almost this entire thread! And enjoyed every minute.

My first exposure to Araucana was when I was about 10 - a family friend with a farm got her first chickens, 'Araucana'. Now I understand they were Easter Eggers. Some tailless, some with muffs etc, but the smartest and nicest chickens I ever met. Decent layers of blue and blue green eggs, and tasty. I've never wanted any other kind of chicken, doubly so now that I've done all my research. Now I finally have the space for chickens though I am waiting til next spring so I have all this year to build my set up and cultivate some nice forage for them.

Two questions for you all. Everyone around here keeps telling me I should start out with basic feed store chicks to get my feet wet before spending money on purebred chickens. I don't want to but I also don't want to lose all my expensive Araucanas due to inexperience or poor planning. I'm trying to eliminate the possibility of poor planning. Everything will be well predator proofed - and dog proofed - and I have a LGD breed dog who I'll be training to do night watch. Worth the risk?

Also, I'm most interested in the Araucana as a hardy dual purpose breed with good natural instinct. I will be perpetuating my own flock but I won't be showing. I want rumpless birds but tufts aren't such a concern and my main priorities will be selecting for healthy, meaty birds who are reliable layers, and blue over green or light eggs. Plumage is last on my list. However - for the betterment of the breed should I go the extra mile to put together a starting flock of compatible colors so what birds I sell are more useful to people who might want to breed to APA standards? I didn't think this was possible at first but now that I've seen the community here I think I could manage it though it may take longer and be more expensive.

Thanks all!

I like Ed's approach from http://www.awesomearaucana.com/

Breed for the traits YOU are interested in. Especially if you don't plan to show them.

I started with 3 chickens that were gifted to us by some friends. 2 rhode island red hens and an araucana rooster. I'm setting some of their eggs tonight, but it's just to gain the experience before I invest in some birds/eggs from Ed. My decision is partially influenced by finances. My wife lost her job recently, so it would be tough to buy eggs to hatch anyway. I'm kind of glad I am learning with the birds I have. I'm already a little stressed just making sure I care for them well. If I also was risking a big $$ investment, there would be even more stress.

I really like Ed too! When I buy my own property I would love to build up to a set up like his. On his Facebook page recently he mentioned that he is probably going to stop selling to the public. I hope I can get some birds from him first.

I'm pretty sure I am going to start with a few Araucana chicks from Chicken Scratch Poultry. They have good availability and are affordable ($14/chick). They are Nancy Utterbeck lines but since its a (small) hatchery they will be a mix of colors and quality, unlikely any tufts. Then if all goes well the first year or two I can start adding better and more expensive stock. I haven't been able to find much feedback online about their Araucanas, does anyone here have some?

Back
Top Bottom