Araucana thread anyone?

One of my easter egger lays a really nice teal blue eggs 1-2 a week. She lays 3-4/week, but usually at least once a week it's a breathe-taking color. Here's a full sun image:

DC99308D-4DE1-44D1-95F0-B00C5CC2B628.jpeg

Still really blue. In the shade, it looks even more stunning.

55F4A51A-3542-4E15-A9C5-39A611DB6EEB.jpeg

No photshop. Egg is even better looking in person.

I hope all is well with everyone.

Anyone hatching anything right now? Incubating? Starting to put pens together? Etc.

chipmunks are easy to sex at hatch. females have 3 colours and are darker and males have 2 colours.
For legbar (cream legbar to be specific) you can sex due to the 2 or 3 pattern and for the pullets the eye liner indicator, but for other breeds I'm not so sure it's that easy? If it was, BBR or wildtype Araucana breeders would sell sexed pullets at day old chick. I don't know anyone who guarantees day old chick Araucanas sexed at hatch due to chipmunk coloration.

For legbar (cream legbar to be specific) you can sex due to the 2 or 3 pattern and for the pullets the eye liner indicator, but for other breeds I'm not so sure it's that easy? If it was, BBR or wildtype Araucana breeders would sell sexed pullets at day old chick. I don't know anyone who guarantees day old chick Araucanas sexed at hatch due to chipmunk coloration.

unfortunately I know some people who pretend they don't know sex of araucana chicks and sell all of 2 colour chicks before they develop combs. I personally got confused a few times about chipmunk patterns. they simply were not very clear. if they have 1 dark, 1 medium and 1 light colour they have always been girls. some had similar shades of brown that I could not decide whether they had 2 or 3 colours. some were boys, some girls.

One of my easter egger lays a really nice teal blue eggs 1-2 a week. She lays 3-4/week, but usually at least once a week it's a breathe-taking color. Here's a full sun image:

View attachment 2961916
Still really blue. In the shade, it looks even more stunning.

View attachment 2961917
No photshop. Egg is even better looking in person.

I hope all is well with everyone.

Anyone hatching anything right now? Incubating? Starting to put pens together? Etc.
Oh wow! Mine have those too, but they’re americaunas! I don’t have any pictures of the eggs, though.

unfortunately I know some people who pretend they don't know sex of araucana chicks and sell all of 2 colour chicks before they develop combs. I personally got confused a few times about chipmunk patterns. they simply were not very clear. if they have 1 dark, 1 medium and 1 light colour they have always been girls. some had similar shades of brown that I could not decide whether they had 2 or 3 colours. some were boys, some girls.
I will have to test your theory to this if I can get Araucana hatching eggs this Spring. Every year is different, some years people are willing to ship eggs (or even sell), some years some people won't. Sometimes I miss the window during breeding season too (serious breeders strictly breed when fertility is the highest and then stop by start of Fall). What I do know is that some are gold base and some are silver based. Depending on that, some are darker than others. What I remember is that the darker ones silver base. The only way to know is to tag them early on and then grow them out to see if it holds true. It's pretty confusing to determine silver and gold as adult Araucanas as they look so much alike unless the breeder keeps separate pens and knows forsure that these eggs are from silvers and these are from gold.

Back
Top Bottom