Araucana thread anyone?

Easter eggers and Americanas are the same thing.
They are not the same thing. Genetically or by standard. Ameraucanas have the blue gene. Easter eggers may or may not = egg color can be pink, brown, or any shade or blue/green. Technically, each variety of Ameraucanas has it's own genetic pool by precessedors who have been breeding them to the standard. There are even non-recognized breeds such as whiting true blues or favacaunas that were bred from Ameraucanas that have beards/muffs and they carry the blue gene. Doesn't make them Ameraucanas. For a long time WTB claimed to be from Araucanas. In recent years, they've updated it to Ameraucanas. Two distinct different recognized breeds by APA/ABA. The others, not recognized by APA.

They are not the same thing. Genetically or by standard. Ameraucanas have the blue gene. Easter eggers may or may not = egg color can be pink, brown, or any shade or blue/green. Technically, each variety of Ameraucanas has it's own genetic pool by precessedors who have been breeding them to the standard. There are even non-recognized breeds such as whiting true blues or favacaunas that were bred from Ameraucanas that have beards/muffs and they carry the blue gene. Doesn't make them Ameraucanas. For a long time WTB claimed to be from Araucanas. In recent years, they've updated it to Ameraucanas. Two distinct different recognized breeds by APA/ABA. The others, not recognized by APA.
Americana is the typical name hatcheries use to make EEs sound thensame as Ameraucana

Ill try to keep track if i get chipmunk chicks. Im bot sure what to expect, their flock seems to have all sorts of different patterns and colors
Personally, I'd figure out what color variety I want. Then seek out breeders who breeds them and then get stock from them. I've found that the prices for standard and non-standard Araucanas don't vary to much as chicks. Might as well do the research and get its worth. Remember, it costs just as much/time to raise a rare breed (Araucana) versus a common breed (Barred Rock). Might as well put money into the rare ones that you want. I scout Craigslist throughout the year for Araucana postings and then save info on those folks who have legit stock. The follow-up when I'm ready.

Personally, I'd figure out what color variety I want. Then seek out breeders who breeds them and then get stock from them. I've found that the prices for standard and non-standard Araucanas don't vary to much as chicks. Might as well do the research and get its worth. Remember, it costs just as much/time to raise a rare breed (Araucana) versus a common breed (Barred Rock). Might as well put money into the rare ones that you want. I scout Craigslist throughout the year for Araucana postings and then save info on those folks who have legit stock. The follow-up when I'm ready.
Most places I've found wont ship chicks as far as I need, and im not willing to buy older birds and dont want to ship eggs since they have poor rates already without shipping stress. Besides, I'm not showing or anything that requires a near perfect bird. I just want a small group for myself to enjoy and to make a bit more avaliable in my area. Plus i dont want specific color varieties. I like having different colors in my groups so i cam tell them apart easier without bands

Most places I've found wont ship chicks as far as I need, and im not willing to buy older birds and dont want to ship eggs since they have poor rates already without shipping stress. Besides, I'm not showing or anything that requires a near perfect bird. I just want a small group for myself to enjoy and to make a bit more avaliable in my area. Plus i dont want specific color varieties. I like having different colors in my groups so i cam tell them apart easier without bands

we don't have any poultry exhibitions here. I am trying to breed as close to sop as possible but don't mind colours. 1 of my girls is blue with some wild pattern, 1 has 100% wild colours/pattern and 1 looks exactly like gold laced wyandotte. I like them all and hope to find a roo that will help to produce similar colours.

Our Araucanas are different than the US Araucanas. I've seen them called British Araucanas overseas. I've got one solo Araucana chick at the moment, but don't think she quite fits into this thread!

you are welcome here. there were other members who kept british araucanas that joined this thread.

Our Araucanas are different than the US Araucanas. I've seen them called British Araucanas overseas. I've got one solo Araucana chick at the moment, but don't think she quite fits into this thread!
Share some photos! What are your experiences with British Araucanas? I haven't ran into anyone who has them here in the states, but don't see why they can't be bred to be similar. Anyone else own/seen British Araucanas in the US?

Share some photos! What are your experiences with British Araucanas? I haven't ran into anyone who has them here in the states, but don't see why they can't be bred to be similar. Anyone else own/seen British Araucanas in the US?
I've only got one solo chick hatched out at the moment from shipped eggs. They're our standard Araucanas here in NZ. We don't have the US type Araucanas here :)

Back
Top Bottom