Araucana thread anyone?

For some young references. . .

Splash Cuckoo chick, notice the spot on the head, and it "spills" out of the normal spacing, showing it is a cockerel

4462293703_a03bb497c0.jpg

Splash cuckoo young cockerel

4536556471_bedd08fde1.jpg

Blue Cuckoo chick, definite cockerel showing by size and "spill" of dot on head

4471251259_e58eea16cd.jpg

Blue Cuckoo young pullet, definite barring

4555830849_10b3a99997.jpg

There aren't many normal cuckoos around because people continue to breed blue x splash. For example, the origin of most people's Splash and Blue Cuckoos is Gary Ramey, who does splash x blue. Thus, you get a bunch of splashes and blues out of there, and from there, even seen in this thread, people like to breed splash cuckoo x blue something else.

As for the comment on getting a barred cockerel from a barred x non-barred breeding, sorry, but the cockerel is the one who you'd get the barring to show up on in a sex-linked case, NOT the pullet.
wink.png
It's either a sex-linked pair of barred cockerel, non-barred pullet, or it's both genders barred, just at a 50% rate or a 100% rate depending on the father having both or one barred allele.

Iam new to this thread and trying to figure out this color pattern.I have some that resemble this splash cuckoo pattern but my breeding results from last year suggest it is not splash but perhaps pied. I will try to post some pics later when DW can help.I bought 2 roos that were said to be splash.Since I had no araucana hens I used EE and cull ameraucanas.I should have gotten all blue and blue cuckoo from the black hens but it didn't come out that way.Any ideas ?I see they now have a calico cochin that seems to be a pied Millie. Jerr

Re-read, my post, I did say barred cockerels.
hmm.png
I'm very familiar with the barring genes, I have cuckoo marans. I'm just saying that with all that apparent barring, why aren't there more black cuckoo's?

Quote:
Sorry, much apologies then. As said before though, I think a big reason is because most people don't really think of it - They just breed whatever. I'm not meaning to offend, I'm just saying what I've seen so far.

I myself am working towards a "black" cuckoo, but I haven't had any eggs from my cuckoos in months, and last I was using them for sex linked Olive Eggers. . .

Araucana number has risen here again, 3 chicks hatched today
big_smile.png
2 are Slinky's and 1 Fawn's. I'll post photo's when they're fluffed and dry. Too wet yet for me to see if there are tufts, the previous 2 that hatched are clean faced/rumpless.

AND, I already have an egg from my new Araucana pen. I penned them all separate from my others to quarantine and until I have breeding pens ready in the spring. I don't know which hen or sure but the rooster is the BBR rooster they came with I think. He was the only mature rooster in the pen when I picked them up. Could have been another rooster since he had sold several the day before though. I'm thinking the hen is either the tan/blue or the brown hen, either way, into the incubator it went after it warmed to room temp
cool.png

Hopefully, I'll get some pullets in the group and unless they're outstanding in some way, I'll pair them with the roosters I have for sale now (unless they sell, I have some breeders interested) and sell them as pairs. I may take them off the market so I can do that anyway. I'm pretty sure one of the Slinky chicks is a pullet from the black stripe from the corner of her eyes. Soon as I can be sure of the sex of these most recent chicks, I will be able to offer pairs or trio's that are both rumpless and one tufted if anyone is interested, PM me.

I LOVE LOVE this breed.

I would love some tufted rumpless and non tufted rumpless araucana. Im a gold duckwing, silver duckwing fan. But would be willing to explore other colors. If I can even find where to get them!

Anybody know of some who ships chicks?

Quote:
I love the sweetness of the breed but I think I really like the off colors everyone is getting.I always do love the oddball.
lol.png

Something else too about Cuckoo in Marans the males are lighter than the females, and every now and then you will get a Rooster that is colored like a Hen being dark, So far I don't think I've saw this happen in the Cuckoo Araucanas, anyone have a Cuckoo Rooster that is darker colored like that?

Victoria

Ok I will try some pics.The first pic is the original color pattern but of a offspring.The rest are siblings.The hens were black and some whites.It did not behave as splash as no blues were hatched.The barring came from the dominate white hens.I think the pied gene is involved. Jerry
49442_pic_0056.jpg
me pics.
49442_1f.jpg
49442_arau_hen.jpg
[/url]
49442_araucana.jpg

Back
Top Bottom