Araucana thread anyone?

So..... what color was the first egg?

A bit disappointing - it has the brownish bloom that makes it more gray than blue. But I've found that my hens are very inconsistent. Every third or fourth egg is perfect blue, and in between all different shades of green or blue gray, from the same hen. The 4 I have that are laying now have distinctly differently shaped eggs.​

My sweet husband snorted when I said I wanted to go, then was pathetically relieved when I told him I would go with someone else. Big baby. He was so relieved he has forgotten to ask me not to bring any new birds home.

I will take my camera, but I take really horrible pics. I will do my best.

Megan, I will definately be drooling. I hope it doesn't get on the birds. LOL!

Lanae

One of my tufted pullets laid her first egg yesterday. It was green blue and I am thrilled. She is another one who's mom lays khaki eggs. So I have her in a pen with a roo from a really blue egg. Next generations eggs should be a little bluer. When she was laying her first egg, her and the roo were in their house sitting next to each other. He didn't come down till she was done. He is such a nice boy.

My pullets are all getting to the laying stage and it is so cute to open the nest box and see this tiny egg in there and try to guess who did it. I have managed to catch a couple in the act.

Lanae

This is for village chicken.Cure for egg eater chickens.Use a pair of dog toenail clippers and trim the beaks until they bleed be sure to have blood stop powder on hand.In extreme cases of bleeding you can cauterize the wound.You don't want them to bleed to death.This trim job makes the end of the beak tender and it hurts when the peck the eggs.It is like if you trim your nails too close or pull off a hang nail.Some may say this is cruel but sure is kinder than a beheading which is the surest cure. Jerry

Village Chicken- Araucanas in Hungary, are they rumpless and tufted? Are they very common there? Sorry to hear that they were attempting to eat the egg. To give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe it was the blood on the egg that they were pecking at... That is a very bad habit and from my experience only encourages others to do the same. Have seen them chasing the instigator trying to get their share of the egg. Hard habit to break once started and the only sure way to break it is break a neck!

Hey Lanae, My last summer's pullets are beginning to lay too! The eggs are typically small to start but sure are welcome at breakfast time. I spent a very cold afternoon building them a four compartment nest box but they insist on just laying them in the shavings on the floor. Picked up one little darling as she was hunkered down and put her in the box. She seemed to like it there and stayed and layed her egg. Next day she was back to laying on the floor like she didn't have a clue. The eggs are actually a little more blue than they show here.
63491_pullet_eggs.jpg

My for sale birds are loaded up and ready to go. I am taking a banty pair ( blue breasted red roo and black hen)ugh I can't stand their icky little feet. LOL!! Just kidding. The roo is humping everything in sight, ack! Talk about little man syndrome.

I have 8 cleanfaced rumpless roos ( three splash - 1 of them butchers apron, 3 blue breasted red, 1 black breasted red, 1 golden duckwing) I may load a black birchen in by morning.

I have two tufted rumpless roos ( 1 columbian splash - georgous, 1 blue with gold leakage - super pretty )

I have 3 pullets (1 tufted tailed blue duckwing, 1 cleanfaced wheatenish, 1 cleanfaced blue - sold )

I would love to come home with a few less birds. At least of the ones I am taking down, of course. If I happen to fall in love while I am there, I am taking plenty of cages to bring more home. I call it the bird shuffle, some shuffle out, mostly more shuffle in.

I look forward to seeing you all who are going, there. I will be the blondish, 40ish lady going " oh my god will you look at that one" over and over again.

Lanae

Congrats puredelite. I love it when they start laying. I feel like I can almost relax. They made it to the point of lay. Yippee! I had a really pretty double tufted ginger pullet just give up and die at 5 months last week. No sign of illness, nothing. I found her like she just fell over dead. She was running around that morning no problem. I don't think she was quite ready to lay yet. So upsetting.

Lanae

Back
Top Bottom