Araucana thread anyone?

I set 6 of my araucana eggs along with some mixed eggs. Smoothmule and I were unable to connect. My incubator is at 30% humidity. I know the dry method seems to work well for you, will it have an adverse effect on the barnyard mix of eggs that are in with them? Another question, How hard are the blue eggs to candle? I have to assume that you need a pretty strong light since the shell is pigmented all the way through.

Quote:
Camping section of big store (like Walmart) will have LED flashlights with a LUM rating. Basically if it isn't rated, they know it is too wimpy to mention, lol. I found a Coleman brand flashlight for around $20 that was rated either close to 100 LUMs or just over.

I can see inside all the blue eggs in my incubator now. I was able to distinguish "empty" and "full" in Black Copper Maran eggs back in April. I hope this helps somebody.

when i was candling the araucana and ameracauna eggs, it was like Russian roulette lol, some were nearly impossible to see through, others had a wonderful almost wax to them which made them great to candle.... not sure how yours will be.

Hatching some Araucana chicks tonight. I had just a few but they're pipping and cheeping wanting out Now. I still have the hatching eggs Rumbull. I'm off Tuesday but have a couple breeders coming to pick up chicks they've bought and then I have a mandatory meeting at the hospital. I don't know how they can always choose my days off for mandatory meetings. I only have one day off next week, all 10 to 12 hour shifts.....and I'm supposed to be part time
hmm.png

My son is flying out in the morning to Florida for a class (he does work for the rail road sometimes and this is a safety class. They flew him out there last week then the instructor didn't show so he flew home....a wasted trip but it was their dime I guess and he gets $200/day when he's out no matter what). If he hadn't ended up spending the night in Springfield tonight at his friends, I could have sent eggs with him for you to pick up. I can't seem to get it together for you. I am still collecting eggs but now I'm getting a lot of requests to buy my hatching eggs again and I'm taking all I get with me on our trip to Maryland, along with chicks........my car is going to be stuffed with chicks.....I hope my husband doesn't boot me out with them along the way
lol.png
I have sold enough that I'm taking with us to pay for the fuel to get out there and back so I'm thinking he won't say too much

So when candling the blue eggs, you are just looking to see that they are not empty? With the other eggs, I can see the embrios eyes. With the blue eggs, I can only see that they are dark about the top 3/4 of the egg and light at the bottom. I assume this is means it's fertile and not empty. I expected good fertility since the pullet has a tail. Easy to get it out of the way for the roo. He gives her 3 times the attention that he does the other girls.
I know this is discussed somewhere in the thread but, (it took me 2 months to read because I don't spend much time on the web)... do you have a 25% chance of tufts when you have tufted to nontufted parents?

tufts are dominate so as long as 1 parent has it there should be a 50% chance of the chick having it but tufts never seam to work out like they should...

Here's my pair! Our 4yr old son named them all.
99716_256_crop.jpg

The roo is named Scott (not sure where that came from). He has a couple of stray tail feathers but no parsons nose.
99716_251_crop.jpg

The pullet is named Canaan (he named him after himseld, this is my son's name). She out lays my leghorn/barred rock mix.
99716_253_crop.jpg

Red breasted. That is a FBCM behind her.
99716_255_crop.jpg

Splash Breasted Red (or, in her case, red breasted splash) indeed, gorgeous tufts!!
thumbsup.gif

syble - Love that pair! The blue girl is just gorgeous, the male is very nice too. His comb is a bit tall, but don't worry too much. It could be worse. I've got a boy with a tight comb, but his is actually folded a tad, so it looks more like a brain than a pea comb.

Back
Top Bottom