Araucana thread anyone?

I heard one of the 4 boys that hatched out on 7/22 crow for the first time this week. I'm not sure which one it was because it was still dark. At just 9 weeks old I don't think he's brave enough to crow in front of my mature (enormous) specked Sussex roo if he could actually see him!

In other news, three of the eight eggs I got from Chicken Scratch had hatched as of yesterday afternoon--all are black. I had to force myself to walk away and leave the hen alone! I think she'll bring them out today.

Kirsten

I heard one of the 4 boys that hatched out on 7/22 crow for the first time this week. I'm not sure which one it was because it was still dark. At just 9 weeks old I don't think he's brave enough to crow in front of my mature (enormous) specked Sussex roo if he could actually see him!

In other news, three of the eight eggs I got from Chicken Scratch had hatched as of yesterday afternoon--all are black. I had to force myself to walk away and leave the hen alone! I think she'll bring them out today.

Kirsten
congratulations! it's so exciting!

Kirsten
Hatching either w/ a broody or an incubator is so cool.

Took my babies out for the first time today. They are 4 1/2 weeks now. It was so neat to watch them experience something totally new, and to see their true colors without a red lamp. I wish I knew what to call some of the colors though. Can anyone help me identify some of these colors?

Black with a warm reddish brown...

And this one is really interesting looking. Great tufts, but great tail also.
Blue with brown tips...

I believe this one is a boy. Was a chipmunk...

And this chipmunk I think is a girl...

And maybe girl, Blue, right?? Pretty darker edging around each feather.

just a quick question, what age do your aruacanas roosters try to start mounting on hens?
This was our first go with boys and it wasn't too long after they started crowing. I am thinking 18/19 weeks for the early ones and we have a silkie who is 24 weeks and still hasn't figured it out. Also, within the same breed we had some come on earlier than others. It is definatly one of those "it depends" kind of answers
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom