Araucana vs. EE

lux_interior

Songster
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
Joliet
I went to The Feed Store today, to buy feed, and they had Araucana pullets for sale... I bought two, because I've been trying to find these... I really want some colorful eggs!

Anyway, I'll be happy to have them either way, but I was wondering if there is a way to tell if they really are Araucana's, or just common EE's??

I know I'm just gonna hear that they are probably EE's because they were from a feed store, and not a breeder, But this guy gets his chicks from lots of different places, including the ones that are hatched at the museum of science and industry incubating exhibit.... So I'm wondering if there are characteristics to look for to distinguish them?

Feedstore = EEs

Araucanas from what I have seen on this site dont have tails.. I guess a few will.. But the norm is for them to not have one. And some have, I believe they are called tuffs. And if I remember right they dont have beards or what ever they are called and the EEs have them..

Im no expert. This is just what I get from reading the many many posts about them..

Feedstores get their birds from hatcheries. Hatcheries sell EEs and call them ameraucana or araucana. From what I understand the only way to get a "true" ameraucana or "true" araucana is to go through a reputable breeder. You will still get colorful eggs so don't worry.

My guess is that even if the feedstore fellow gets birds from all over, you'd pay a lot more for true Araucanas. Can anyone weigh in on how much one would expect to pay for a real Araucana chick?

Back
Top Bottom