Arctic blast coming to my area

Then they will be fine. They have lots of fluffy down that will help keep them warm. Chickens should not get frostbite at "anything below 30 degrees". My guess would be those chickens are not in a well ventilated coop.

I keep the pop door open until the actual temperature is in the teens below zero. They rarely go outside when there is snow on the ground, but it keeps fresh air coming into the coop. I like to think it helps move the moisture out the vented soffits around the top of the coop.

Sometimes it does get so cold that combs and wattles will get frostbite no matter how dry it is in your coop. Large-combed birds are much more susceptible, so I try to keep rose or pea combed chickens instead.
We have golden comets which have smaller combs. I think ill vaseline them up tonight to be safe

I am also trying to sort through all the information and advice here on BYC. My coop does have insulation, the foil kind, roof is insulated, very well vented above the roosts. I did cover two sides on the outside with foil insulation just for extra and it makes me feel good. I stuffed the coop with additional straw, the run is completely wrapped with a wind break, covered with a roof and the floor is totally covered with fresh dry straw. One chicken seemed to have cold feet so I heated two pieces of soap stone on my wood burner, wrapped them with an old towel and they all love standing on the warm towel drinking the warm water I bring them, also just gave them warm mash. I think they will be just fine.

We live in North Dakota, and heating the coop is a waste. It is -10 outside right now, and about 19-20 degrees in my coop. My ladies are fine. A couple even ran outside for a little bit, but for the most part they are just hanging out on their roosts. I have a draft free, un-insulated shed that I converted into a coop. I don't even have a coop door. Don't be afraid of the cold. Your chickens will be fine.... just ask the sparrows sitting on my fence with no fancy coop hotel to call home lol. Oh, I also use the deep litter method for my coop in the winter. Works well and insulates the floor nicely.
Very nice coop. And the chickens look warm and cozy.

Well we caved and said our chickens need heat! We were so cold outside seeing as its -20 we put a heat source in the coop. A small incandescent light bulb in a cinder block. We were avoiding this but we want to avoid death as much as possible. We've come too far to let them just die. I love these birds and i dont want to have to start over. Ill keep you all updated assuredly

It is currently -22 degrees out with a windchill on -55. You can actually feel yourself freezing! I went out to check on the girls. Even with the incandescent heater we set out last night its -10 in the coop. They are all sitting on the roosts on their feet. Im gonna check on them throughout the day but im leaving the door closed to prevent heatloss

I went out to the coop, took out some warm mash, my heated soap stone wrapped in a towel, inside the run it was 10 degrees, outside was -6, everyone is doing fine so far.
Good to hear! You're soooooo lucky its only -6...I cant believe how cold it is here. Apparently we broke a record. The coldest its ever been was -15 which was some 20 years ago

Back
Top Bottom