Arctic blast coming to my area

I think the worst is over it’s-15 but will warm up to around 1above later today. That heated dog bowl worked great water stayed opened outside. This is my first winter with chickens, BYC was a big help got ideas that helped. Going to whip up some warm mash from the feed powder I keep throw in Parsley flakes and Oregano they love.Before I forget cozy coop flat screen helped so no frost bite, worth the money. Stay warm!

That little incandescent is doing its job! Its -12 out and 12 in the coop. Im gonna let them out once it gets a little warmer. Its so cold out i wanted to climb in there with them! My outdoor water bowl is frozen. Im hoping its just that it cant keep up with how cold it is out. But its looking like i might have to buy a new one. Any suggestions on brand/product? Its a heated dog bowl we got from tsc. Its not even a year old so im gonna be pretty mad if its kaput :hmm

All the girls here are A-OK. Guess is a relatively warm sunny day vs most of your temperature readings - goin up from 11F to 20 ish in Maryland today. Gave fruit as added water source while I'm away at work and warming mush with oatmeal, surimi spread (oily fishy cajun imitation dip leftovers) and asstd. greens, and deep dish water since their other was frozen overnight. Happy cluckers sunning in the yard now!

Still sub zero here. -6 degrees. With the sun beaming down and the coop and our little lightbulb it got to be 20 degrees in the coop. I opened the door to get out some of the moisture and excess heat...they all went out! I'm a little concerned because the heated dog bowl in the run is frozen. They still have another water source however. If its still frozen tomorrow i might just bite my wallet and go buy a different one

I would try to return it, it should have lasted 3 months at the very minimum. Stores like happy customers!
I called tsc and they said I can take it back and exchange it for another one. I had bought this one because it had excellent reviews. We have another one but im unsure of the brand as it was a hand-me-down from a friend. That one is still working and is wonderful. We are finally out of the sub zero temps. Its 6 degrees out right now and is supposed to get to 30 today. Im glad my girls made it through this and i hope everyone else was able to keep their birds safe

In case anyone was wondering this was my set up in a cinder block. Had it covered with another cinder block on top:
20190201_074637.jpg

It worked quite well. 60 watt made it 15 degrees warmer than outside and 100 watt 20 degrees warmer

In case anyone was wondering this was my set up in a cinder block. Had it covered with another cinder block on top:View attachment 1660062
It worked quite well. 60 watt made it 15 degrees warmer than outside and 100 watt 20 degrees warmer

Nice! Please note that your socket is ceramic, which handles high temps best, particularly when you are making a somewhat closed system.

Looking forward to the warm-up coming!

Back
Top Bottom