Arctic blast coming to my area

Woke up this morning it is -18 degrees the four girls so far are fine. I put in two cozy coop heaters they look like flat screen tv’s that helped the coop door is opened so they can get water the feed is hanging in the coop learned my lesson leaving water in there, have a heated dog bowl with water works pretty good. I have 3 buff Orpingtons and one Red Sex Link tonight will drop down to minus 24 we need to get past another 48 hrs at least.

Girls are all tucked in for the night. Another cold day tomorrow but not as bad. The high is 2 degrees and low is -19 degrees. It is supposed to go up from there. No sign of frost bite yet but its -9 out right now and its supposed to drop even lower tonight. I will update in the morning on how they are doing. Hopefully its warm enough they can go out in the run tomorrow!

As far as where we bought the incandescent...they still sell them in our area. We got it at home depot
Buy as many as you can while you can. I've been looking for them but everything on store shelves here are either LED or halogen.
Well the artic blast is here now. Fortunately not as cold as the mid west. It was -5F when I got up this morning. The coop thermometer was sitting around 5F to 7F (above). That's the lowest it has ever been inside the coop. My chickens seem fine. Opened their pop door and gave them breakfast. They were all eating fine. Hope all of your chickens survived and are doing well through this deep freeze.

I did use an incandescent light bulb in a cinder block to keep their water from freezing, so far it is working, did not leave it on over night. My chickens are doing good also, no signs of frost bite, the coop did not have any frost on the windows, they all came out this morning and seemed to be just fine, was about - 10 here. I did take out another soapstone wrapped in a towel and put it under their straw where they want to cuddle, just to keep their feet warm today. Glad to see the sun!

it's -2F here and thankfully the sun is shining so that will heat the coop and the run. I just swapped out their water and retrieved 1 egg and another pullet is working in the other nest box. So they should be fine. The forecast is for temps up to 14F to 16F today going down to -1F over night then warming up. I'm sure you mid-westerners feel these are balmy temps compared to what you've been dealing with. Oh, these are real temps not wind chills. Stay warm

Just checked on the girls this morning. Theyre cold but they are ok. No signs of frostbite. Its -19 out and its 0 in the coop. We changed out the 60 watt for a 100 watt last night hoping itd provide more heat. Its supposed to warm up to 2 degrees today and overnight. We're not out of the woods yet but very close. Im not letting them out until tomorrow when its warmer. Im gonna remove the bulb once its warmer too. Still monitoring throughout the day

Just checked on the girls this morning. Theyre cold but they are ok. No signs of frostbite. Its -19 out and its 0 in the coop. We changed out the 60 watt for a 100 watt last night hoping itd provide more heat. Its supposed to warm up to 2 degrees today and overnight. We're not out of the woods yet but very close. Im not letting them out until tomorrow when its warmer. Im gonna remove the bulb once its warmer too. Still monitoring throughout the day
Good to know they are OK.

Back
Top Bottom