arctic cold front--special precautions for texas hens?

Quote:
From a former Illinios resident as a kid....about an hour south of Chicago.... to living in deep south Texas, I don't think you northerners understand the extremes of this state. No our coops are not completely enclosed. Our birds just like us have endured a summer of record with temps in the 110 + for well over a month. And not just temps, but super high humidity...unlike any I EVER withstood in Illinios. There are many times I actually have trouble breathing the humidity is so thick. Our birds go from that to yeah 60 to 50 degree winters....but we get some humidity still down here to make you sweat and run around in a Tshirt. Then you get a cold spell like this with wind blowing like nothing all of a sudden and wind chills this area is not use to. It does affect you differently. It is VERY hard on livestock. I even have big winter blankets on our horses because they stand with their legs all under them shivering. We have had calves in this area freeze out in the pasture on cold nights like this. (And why we lock up our Mamas and babies and Mamas to be) We are just not use to colder temps. So a weather change like this is something we need to take seriously and do all we can for our animals. My horses do not grow hair like those in the northern climates this time of year, so maybe our chickens do not have enough stuffing...down like the ones up north.

Having been to Illinios just last March, I remember what you guys have. I also saw the animals and saw the cattle with LONG hair. It doesn't happen down here. I saw the extent of buildings built for livestock....we all don't do that here because they would die of heat in the summer...especially the chicken coops. So for our very few weeks/maybe a month of winter, we are not prepared. I did cover all my upper half of my coop with Plywood...cuz I only have half wall from the ground up and everything else is wire. I left the south side open for ventilation. I also left the heat lamps on...and will continue until we reach higher temps. Put in some extra shavings for the banties that like to snuggle on the coop floor. Vasoline on the combs of my Roosters. The ONLY birds I have that seem anywhere interested in being out in this weather were my Orpingtons. Everyone else was cuddled together or under heat lamps.

Hope everyone else's birds and livestock down here are doing well.

Thanks CountryMom for pointing out the humidity issues we have down here that have to be experienced to be understood.

Hang in there fellow Texans-here in the Southeastern part of the state we are predicted to be back to 62 next Thursday for a high(can't come soon enough for me)!

Well, countrymom, we are just a bit north of you, and so far ours seem to be doing okay, except one roo, Hawk. I had to bring him inside, he was shivering and getting dehydrated (our water is outside in the run, not heated, and the rest seem to be fine with that). We put up two heat lamps hanging from the rafters, and I have been going out to check on everyone. As long as they are protected from the wind, they should be okay. Even our horses are staying out of their stalls, just hanging around in the windbreak eating their hay. I hope that yours make it through the day - it should be warmer by this weekend.

BTW - thanks everyone for the vaseline idea - it's a little late now, as I just read it today, but I will remember it for the future (if we have another cold snap like this again).

I am down just outside of Victoria....so pretty far south. We were down to 27 this morning and the wind is still breezey out there. That makes the wind chill something more to deal with. I do have a couple that are molting right now and they are hanging out under heat lamps not free ranging at all. Up until about noon only my Orps ventured from the coop. My poor SS roo is shivering so I lowered the heat lamp. I have the SS in a seperate coop now to look to getting hatching eggs, so they won't be free ranging other than their coop. All their waterers were frozen over this morning, so I broke that up and added in some warm water. We are suppose to see the teens tonight as far as temps which is extremely rare for my neck of the woods. I believe it was back in the 80's when this area actually had a hard enough freeze long enough to ice over the tanks (aka ponds to the northerners.) I didn't live here at the time, but have seen pictures. That is when you get frost bit ears on larger livestock also like cattle and horses. I am just thankful we got in the high 30's so far today. Horses are fairing OK. I worry most about my old guys. One of our 3 year old horses never grew a winter coat. He looks as slick and shiney as he does in summer time. He is super cold today even with a blanket on.

I think my birds will do OK, but I wouldn't have done any less for them then I did to help. I would be seriously worried if I didn't do anything because this is not what they are use to.

Stay warm everyone and we will look toward this weekend for our more 'normal' temps. Then I can get busy on those outside projects awaiting me!

Wanted to stop in and see how you folks are managing- rotten situation there. You may get a break, the jet stream is shifting eastward with the Arctic air mass (over us) and for once I'm happy to take it off your hands, you've suffered enough!
lol.png

Last night was our coldest so far. We got down to 20. Had to reposition one heat lamp for my SS coop. My poor rooster was shivering. He was happy to have the lamp closer down to his perch. Lots of breaking up ice and hauling hot water from the house to water troughs so animals could drink while it lasted. We have burned through a bunch of hay with the larger livestock just in the last couple of days. Neighbors senior horses in their 30's are doing well so far as per speaking with her this morning. Baby calves in the barn pen were lively this morning trying to keep warm. DH even set up a heat lamp for the barn kitties and they were thrilled. So far so good! Now looking forward to it getting into the 40's today. YEAH!

Lynn, you can gladly have this cold stuff back anytime. Sooner the better!
big_smile.png

You're in good control but I bet there are livestock suffering under less supervision. Glad to take it back, we're insulated and equipped with heaters for water, as a standard set-up. Plus our birds are local and cold-hardy. Your poor roo! I can imagine him negotiating for warmth. He's lucky to have you.

I was worried about my girls/guys, too, and a flock of 7 youngsters but all came through the last two nights with "flying" colors! Water was frozen solid so I took care of that. They keep each other warm and, as long as they're feathered, they do fine.

Back
Top Bottom