Are acorns ok for ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Smurfbrew, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Smurfbrew

Smurfbrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2014
    Nebraska
    So my neighbor's oak tree is dropping acorns into our yard, and the girls keep trying to eat them. About half the time I can chase them down and get it away from them before they swallow it, but the other half, not so much. They aren't the huge kind, but it's still disconcerting to see that big lump go down a skinny duck neck as they swallow it. Should i be worried? I know they are toxic to humans unless you boil them really well to remove the tannins, but does anyone know if they are toxic to ducks?

2. emmajane07

emmajane07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2014
    Missouri
    I am not sure if they are toxic to ducks or not...but, I do know that mine eat quite a few or at least try to eat a lot. I'm sure they manage to get some down. I haven't discouraged them eating them--there are just too many to try and keep them from.

3. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    No ducks shouldnt get acorns its not good for them, or well that my expierence. it mad etheir stomachs upset

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Oh, I don't like to seem contrary - and at the same time, I want to add that the only concern I have read about before, with ducks eating acorns, is that it can darken the yolks of their eggs. Like, if they eat many acorns, the egg yolks can get an olive kind of color.

Here is a previous thread about acorns.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/392833/my-ducks-are-eating-acorns

I would not mind if my ducks eat a few - in fact, they do in the autumn.

bgg, perhaps you could share more about your concerns.

5. Smurfbrew

Smurfbrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2014
    Nebraska
    Thanks everyone. Good to know! That link was helpful Amiga, sounds like they are actually good for them to eat. That would explain why they all run around chasing each other whenever one has one. Now I don't have to be the last duck in line, chasing them too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by