Are all first eggs this small?

Our first egg! We now have 5. 1 each day but very small. I have very small hand so do not be deceived lol. The eggs have been around 38 grams. The chickens are 22 weeks old. I think a Blue Plymouth, a Speckled Sussex and a Buff Opington have all laid one. But I only caught a BO and BP in the nesting box before the egg arrived.

Attachments

• A181EEF5-2327-4B95-9FF8-3EE6E271C0BD.jpeg
    A181EEF5-2327-4B95-9FF8-3EE6E271C0BD.jpeg
    434.8 KB · Views: 1
Our first egg! We now have 5. 1 each day but very small. I have very small hand so do not be deceived lol. The eggs have been around 38 grams. The chickens are 22 weeks old. I think a Blue Plymouth, a Speckled Sussex and a Buff Opington have all laid one. But I only caught a BO and BP in the nesting box before the egg arrived.
Lol I have 2 laying. An EE and a Salmon Faverolles. The EEs first egg was 31g. They then went to 40g for while. Now a month later they are up to 43/44g and seem huge. My SF 1st was 35g she is about 3 weeks into laying and she is still laying them at 40g

Lol I have 2 laying. An EE and a Salmon Faverolles. The EEs first egg was 31g. They then went to 40g for while. Now a month later they are up to 43/44g and seem huge. My SF 1st was 35g she is about 3 weeks into laying and she is still laying them at 40g
Sorry very late reply . Most of the eggs are in the high 50’s and low 60’s grams now. I just got some Easter Eggers and A Green Queen. They are babies. I’m looking forward to their Vegas this summer.

Sorry very late reply . Most of the eggs are in the high 50’s and low 60’s grams now. I just got some Easter Eggers and A Green Queen. They are babies. I’m looking forward to their Vegas this summer.
wow nice sizes! My girls the EE, Salmon Faverolles, and one Cochin that lay are around 53-56g now. Every so often I will get one that is bigger. My Light Brahma laid her first egg on Sat and it was 65g!!!! will be interesting to see what hers do. But she is also 10 mo now so maybe that is why her first one is so big?

My Dark Brahma started about 29 weeks - call that 7 months, and first eggs were small, infrequent. They never do get to be frequent layers. I'd put mine around every other day, but egg size improved over the first month or so as they worked the kinks out of their plumbing.
This was the same for all 3 of my Brahmas too (I have Light and Buff), not frequent layers-typically ever other day or every two depending on how late they laid in the day.

Super cute egg though! I have a Brahma that lays eggs with those extra speckles too :)

**late reply I know sorry. How are her eggs coming along now? Any bigger?

wow nice sizes! My girls the EE, Salmon Faverolles, and one Cochin that lay are around 53-56g now. Every so often I will get one that is bigger. My Light Brahma laid her first egg on Sat and it was 65g!!!! will be interesting to see what hers do. But she is also 10 mo now so maybe that is why her first one is so big?
I have a baby Buff Brahma! I bet Yours is so darn adorable! I just got mine on Saturday. All 6 of the babies I got Saturday were hatched 1/24/2022. She is the cutest! I expect she will be laying in the early summer. How old is yours ?

I have a baby Buff Brahma! I bet Yours is so darn adorable! I just got mine on Saturday. All 6 of the babies I got Saturday were hatched 1/24/2022. She is the cutest! I expect she will be laying in the early summer. How old is yours ?

Awww I love buff Brahmas! I tried to get 2 last year but they didn't come in so had to substitute. Getting 1 this year. Mine are 10 mo. Think if it wasn't for winter and shorter days they would have laid earlier. They were born April 8,2021. I bet your will lay around 6-8 months since they do mature on the later side.

Just putting a reference picture in for comparison! The large blue egg in the first picture is my 2 year old EE and the darker smaller egg is the first egg from my olive egger. She laid her first egg about a week and a half ago and her egg is now almost as big as my EE eggs (second picture is today, same hens)

Attachments

• 20220212_105408.jpg
    20220212_105408.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220221_083819.jpg
    20220221_083819.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 1
Awww I love buff Brahmas! I tried to get 2 last year but they didn't come in so had to substitute. Getting 1 this year. Mine are 10 mo. Think if it wasn't for winter and shorter days they would have laid earlier. They were born April 8,2021. I bet your will lay around 6-8 months since they do mature on the later side.
Thank you so much!

Just found this post again, I now believe that that egg was a fairy egg from my now deceased ex battery hen, delta now lays a nice, cream coloured egg weighing 70g or more, Charlie is close behind.
62BC79B9-FCFE-436B-B0C0-DCFC0A44DF10.jpeg
EE61F442-CD3A-4A37-9CDD-39DDA06F16E8.jpeg
43773D2E-854F-430C-98FE-306212F8B056.jpeg
26C3D78A-9C72-4BE1-BF44-7F0693242DCB.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom