Are all first eggs this small?

BlueTheBrahma

Songster
Sep 2, 2021
My Brahma pullet layed her first egg today, well second, but the first had no shell. I knew that pullet eggs were small, but this egg is tiny. Sorry I have no picture next to a normal egg, but I have had golden pheasant eggs from a friend and this is no bigger.
Is this normal, and should I be concerned, it being her second egg I assume I should just wait to see her next few.
1A77E420-92D7-45B1-A81E-0D8D5A5E8CED.jpeg

such a cute egg. Looks like a fairy egg to me. My Brahma's haven't started to lay yet (how old are yours? Mine are only 23.5 weeks). Where she is a Brahma I bet each egg she lays will get bigger since they lay large eggs. Are you giving oyster shells on the side and/or layer feed?

But my EE and Salmon Faverolles are laying and their first eggs were 31g and 35g. The EE got a tiny bit bigger and after about 4 eggs went to 39-40g (so her eggs are still tiny after about 2.5 weeks), and my SF went to around 40g for her 2nd egg and hers have stayed there as well and she has laid 8. I read EE and SF lay "medium" eggs but I was expecting them to be bigger than what they are. I keep waiting to see if my girls will start to lay them bigger but so far nothing.

such a cute egg. Looks like a fairy egg to me. My Brahma's haven't started to lay yet (how old are yours? Mine are only 23.5 weeks). Where she is a Brahma I bet each egg she lays will get bigger since they lay large eggs. Are you giving oyster shells on the side and/or layer feed?

But my EE and Salmon Faverolles are laying and their first eggs were 31g and 35g. The EE got a tiny bit bigger and after about 4 eggs went to 39-40g (so her eggs are still tiny after about 2.5 weeks), and my SF went to around 40g for her 2nd egg and hers have stayed there as well and she has laid 8. I read EE and SF lay "medium" eggs but I was expecting them to be bigger than what they are. I keep waiting to see if my girls will start to lay them bigger but so far nothing.
They are just over 5 months, and they get ostershell, so I suppose it is quite early yet, I hope to get bigger ones soon, but the little ones are cute.

They are just over 5 months, and they get ostershell, so I suppose it is quite early yet, I hope to get bigger ones soon, but the little ones are cute.
wow so young for a Brahma then. how exciting! from what I have read they normally begin laying around 6-7 mo. One of mine the comb and wattles are getting more bright pink, the other hers are still pale pink. Do you have a pic of your girls?

wow so young for a Brahma then. how exciting! from what I have read they normally begin laying around 6-7 mo. One of mine the comb and wattles are getting more bright pink, the other hers are still pale pink. Do you have a pic of your girls?
These are from last week but are better than nothing.
B9B3FA6A-04E7-4A2A-945C-2BEE54D115BC.jpeg
Delta, who I think is the one laying
FE2EA057-EEBC-40A6-8B13-3A78257841C2.jpeg
Charlie

My Dark Brahma started about 29 weeks - call that 7 months, and first eggs were small, infrequent. They never do get to be frequent layers. I'd put mine around every other day, but egg size improved over the first month or so as they worked the kinks out of their plumbing. Even then, they didn't get huge - mine were borderline Mdm-Lg, sometimes just medium. My Wyandotte ultimately became better layers at 3 days in 5, but laid more Mdm eggs. Honestly, was hard to tell the eggs apart, all of mine ended up laying the same shade of tan, but the Wyan eggs would have a pink sheen in some light, and looked a tiny bit more pointed.

As others have said, yes - that's normal. And frequency of "mistakes" in the egg laying process is often given as 10x higher in new layers than birds 1 yr+. The first time you get a double yolk, well. Don't think all her eggs will be that size, or you will be sadly disappointed.

Attachments

• IMG_20210912_165830374~2.jpg
    IMG_20210912_165830374~2.jpg
    919 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom