are all hens noisey when they lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LindsayB, Jun 6, 2008.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Do all hens make screeching and bocking sounds when they lay eggs? I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with my hen...I mean, she gets really really loud...Is it normal and will it ever stop? She just started laying a week ago.

2. moms_pantry

moms_pantry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    I never know when some of my hens lay, but there are some out there that want the whole world to know that they laid an egg.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Some hens love to announce the arrival of an egg. I have one BO that makes a ruckus the entire time she is in the box trying to lay. They screech and bok and cluck up a storm. I have others that are quiet as a mouse.

Your hens are perfectly normal.

4. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    okay thank you!

5. Jillylam

Jillylam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    Kingwood, NJ
    I love the noises they make. Each one of mine sounds different while laying the egg. A couple are quiet and some sound like they are crying and another sounds like she is purring like a cat. But every one of them comes out of the house afterwards, stands on the ramp and lets us all know that the mission was accomplished and we should applaud her excellent work.

Edited to add: I have 2 that can't lay anymore and still go sit in the nest boxes and make noise.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  6. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I love it and think it is so cute!!! I do have one quiet one, but most are super noisy!! My EE and my Sex Link will, in fact, make noise along with anyone laying....I think they just really enjoy it!!! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by