1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are all hybrids short living ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Zimbamo, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Zimbamo

Zimbamo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2013
    Hi, everyone just wondering if you have any info on if all chicken hybrids don't live as long as heritage chickens because I'm planning on a olive egger mix (Black copper maran and ameraucana mix) and I want to know if you know[​IMG][​IMG]Thanks

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    As far as I know, Hybrid chickens live just as long as purebred chickens. [​IMG]

3. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

x2

4. Zimbamo

Zimbamo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2013
    Thanks for the info, the reason I asked is because sex-link chicken hybrids and some other serious daily laying hybrids only live to be about two a lot of the time

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that is probably because sex-linked hybrids have been selectively bred by commercial egg-production companies to lay a lot of eggs in a short period of time. The strain of laying so many eggs causes hybrid egg-layers put so much energy into egg production that they live a shorter amount of time than other chickens (of course, commercial hens are usually killed at 1-2 years of age when their production decreases, so they never really get a chance to live very long). In a normal small-flock cross (like what you are doing), the difference in life expectancy between purebred chicken and crossed chicken is likely to be minimal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by